We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
75 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

Besides the colleges in Portland, we also wanted to check out Willamette University in Salem and Univ. of Oregon in Eugene. If we drove Highway 5 from Portland to Eugene, would you suggest taking the same route back to Portland or an alternative scenic route to see other great towns? Suggestion welcomed!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

How much time do you have? Chuck.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

Also, what sort of things are you interested in seeing/doing? Historical/hiking/scenery/museums/shopping?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

How about Oregon State in Corvallis? You will drive past Corvallis on your way to Eugene.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

If you come up 99W you can go by Oregon State, W Oreg U, Linfield and George Fox, and pass through.

wine country.

I Willamette interests you might like Linfield.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

Bob, I am glad you said that. As a Beaver I am a bit biased. But Oregon State is worth checking, they do have some of the more technical things like forestry, engineering, agriculture, pharmacy, and a good business school.

Oregon
Level Contributor
817 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

I ditto what Phirl suggested. Go south on I-5 to see Willamette in Salem (my alma mater) and then continue south to U of O in Eugene. Return via Hwy 99W for a taste of rural Oregon, stopping in Corvallis to see OSU, in Monmouth to see WOU (tho it's mainly a commuter school), in McMinnville to visit Linfield, then up to George Fox in Newberg. You'll see what a wide assortment of college options we offer in Oregon.

More wineries on that Hwy 99 route than you could visit in a day, week, month or maybe year! You could also stop in McMinnville to see the Evergreen Air & Space Museum, home of the Spruce Goose.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

I'll ask the same question as Chuck, how much time do you have?

There is a lot of lovely scenery and interesting things to see within a couple of hours of Portland. Do you have the time to wander around a bit? You'll be flying up?

8. Re: Visiting Colleges in April: Portland to Eugene Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:20