We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

Altrincham, England
Level Contributor
125 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated on this, the Oregon half of a proposed trip this summer to Oregon and Washington. Exact details of places to stay are still to be finalised. We have found that at least 2 nights in a place allows us to explore it properly, rather than hurrying on. We are much more interested in scenery, wildlife, nature etc. than cities.

Fly into Portland from Manchester England around June 17.

North Oregon coast around Ecola State Park – 2 nights

Central Oregon coast around Newport / Florence – 2 nights

South Oregon coast around Bandon – 2 nights

(or maybe 1 night and then 2 nights Crescent City Ca. to allow us to visit the redwoods)

Inland to Ashland – possibly an evening visit to the theatre – 1 night

Crater Lake – NP lodge or nearby – 2 nights

Bend – 4 nights

Hood River – 2 nights

Close circle in Portland before heading N to Mt St Helens.

Rest of trip ideas posted in Washington forum.

I have seen how good you guys are on this forum, so I’m really interested to know what you think.

Alan

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

Congratulations Alan on doing a pretty good job planning your trip out!! I can only make 3 suggestions.

1) Since you are more interested in the natural environment, for your central coast stay, I suggest Yachats. It's a small town with plenty of lodging choices and it just happens to sit on one of the most scenic pieces of real estate along the Oregon coast!! It's also near half-way between Newport and Florence.

2) I like your thought on 1 night in Bandon and 2 in/near Crescent City.

3) 2 nights at/near Crater Lake is too much IMO. Perhaps you could add a day near Ashland and explore historic Jacksonville and surrounds?

~Den~

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

I like it :-)

You've obviously done your research! Might be a little long in Bend, but depends on what you have planned there? It's not a huge city, but will be the largest city on your route other than Portland.

I'd lean toward one night in Bandon and two in Crescent City, as the redwoods are very impressive.

Where will be you be on 4th July weekend? Hood River?

---Edit

I got interrupted writing my post, but I agree with dengay about Crater Lake / southern Oregon. Unless you are planning to take the boat ride?

Edited: 31 January 2014, 21:01
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

It is hard to tell if you plan on spending a few nights in Portland? It is a beautiful city so well worth at least 2 nights. Unless you are a serious hiker or mountain biker,I would definitely cut a couple of days out of Bend and spend a couple of nights in Portland instead.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 22:48
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

Yeah, I think you've generally allocated your time quite well, but I'm wondering if you know about the jetboats up the Rogue River leaving from Gold Beach. Because I'm not sure it fits conveniently into your schedule if you're interested.

I'd agree that one night in Crater Lake would be enough, IF you've got good enough weather. In June, that's not a sure thing. The second night buys you some insurance, and if the weather turns out great, I doubt you'll tire of those views.

I understand your preference for the natural world, but agree that you should spend at least some time in Portland. The International Test Rose Gardens will be in full bloom by then, and you can't simply pass through without stopping at Voodoo Doughnut. ;-) So maybe cut one night from Bend? Or the Ashland night?

Altrincham, England
Level Contributor
125 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

Thank you so much for the fast and thoughtful replies! A few follow up questions:

I have seen in the Rough Guide that Jacksonville has a summer arts festival - any thoughts?

More information on the Gold Beach jet boats on the Rogue River would be welcome.

On previous visits we haven't been in the USA for 4th July. What should we expect regarding accommodation and celebrations?

How do you pronounce Yachats?

Many thanks

Alan

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

A lot to see in Bend area, but I am curious what all you plan. 4 days is too much for just Bend. but Newberry NVM can take most of a day, a trip to McKenzie Pass can be another da, maybe going own to 126 then over Santiam Pass to Camp Sherman, a hike into three Sisters wilderness could e good for a day. You might drive to Painted Hills east of prineville.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

I have never personally been to the summer arts festival in Jacksonville, but a good friend of mine goes regularly and she loves it. I just REALLY like the area and the history, which is why I recommended it.

Jerry's is considered to be the preeminent provider of jet boat excursions on the Rogue River:

www.roguejets.com/…

Independence Day celebrations will be EVERYWHERE, from the tiniest of towns to the larger cities. Events will include parades, arts/craft fairs, concerts, evening fireworks displays, and of course, LOTS of people everywhere! Accommodations will be hard to come by without advanced reservations at places that host celebrations, especially along the coast, so make your reservations soon!

Yachats= Yah-hots

And for what it's worth, Heceta (as in Heceta Head Lighthouse)=Ha-see-ta

Altrincham, England
Level Contributor
125 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

I was thinking of using Bend as a base to allow us to cover Mount Bachelor and the Cascade Lakes highway for one day and Newberry Volcanic Monument for another. Maybe we could visit Newberry on our way from Crater Lake to Bend? Plus we would like to do a day hike if we can find one that offers great views without being too strenuous. Suggestions?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

Most of my hiking around Bend has been west of there, near Sisters. Tam McArthur Rim trail is one we like, and offers some spectacular views. Canyon Creek Trail to the base of Three Finger Jack is another nice one, through high mountain meadows filled with wild flowers, the majestic rugged peak as the backdrop. Or you could spend the day doing shorter walks around Camp Sherman: the head of the Metolius River, the fish hatchery with Wizard Falls, trails along the river. Dee Wright Observatory, also in the Sisters area, is another interesting stop.

Since you asked about 4th of July, the Waterfront Blues Festival in Portland would be a fun way to observe it: http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/ . But so is the La De Da Parade in Yachats.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,117 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on this Oregon trip in June / July?

I was unaware that the jetboats suggested were that high rated. Please tell me where it was rated that way.

I have seen more sold out summers in Grants Pass on the Hellsgate Jetboats where they mix spin outs with a great meal on the way home as well as beautiful Hellsgate Canyon. They offer skilled intrepretive/drivers who make the trip great. With their pontoons, they can skim on as little as 4" of water.

It could be in the path of Crater Lake.

If I seem eager it is because we have taken all trips and now just go to the Hellsgate Canyon/ It is never boring and it changes year to year because of water levels. We meet our kids and grand-kids in Grants Pass when we want out of the hot!

You should compare all the jetboats to see which is your style and choice. (you can rent kayaks and inner-tubes in GP too)

Enjoy your trip!

MrsO.