We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to San Francisco in 17 days

Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to San Francisco in 17 days

My wife and I have booked to fly from London to Seattle at the end of August 2014. We are flying out of San Francisco back to London 17 days later. I have spent some time researching the route and have come up with the following itinerary:

Day 1: Fly London to Seattle and stay in Seattle. Stay at Four Seasons.

Day 2: Seattle. Stay at Four Seasons

Day 3: Seattle. Stay at Four Season.

Day 4: collect car and travel to Olympic National Park. Stay at Lake Crescent Lodge.

Day 5: continue to explore ONP. Stay at Lake Quinault Lodge.

Day 6: travel to Cannon Beach. Stay at Ocean Lodge.

Day 7: relax in Cannon Beach. Stay at Ocean Lodge.

Day 8: travel to Portland. Stay at Nines Hotel.

Day 9: travel to Rogue River/ Crater Lake. Stay at Weasuk Inn.

Day 10: travel to N. California coast. Stay near Trinidad at The Lost Whale Inn.

Day 11: travel through the redwoods to Mendocino. Stay Mendocino, no hotel identified.

Day 12: travel to Napa/ Sonoma. Stay in the area, no hotel finalised, possibly The Farmhouse Inn

Day 13: remain in Napa/ Sonoma. Stay possibly Farmhouse Inn.

Day 14: travel to San Francisco. Stay San Francisco, possibly Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental.

Day 15: San Francisco. Stay San Francisco, possibly Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental.

Day 16 San Francisco. Stay San Francisco, possibly Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental.

Day 17: Overnight on flight back to London.

We want to make sure that we get a good feel for the area, see some beautiful scenery both coastal and mountainous, stay in some nice places and experience good food.

I concluded that we do not have time to visit Mt Rainer National Park, Mt St Helen's National Park, Columbia Gorge and Bend. Is this a mistake? If so, what would you cut out of my proposed itinerary. If the itinerary looks good, should we be altering the time we stay in any of the places?

We want enough time to explore Seattle and San Francisco, hence the 3 nights in each.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to San Francisco in 17 days

looks like a good itinerary- there is never enough time to do everything you want. Day 9 will be doable, but not sure if it would be enjoyable. definitely a long day-get an early start. Im not sure how else you would see CL without a long drive. Suggest taking hwy 138, if you aren't going this way already. Beautiful drive.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to San Francisco in 17 days

Hello and welcome to the forums. A thought about Day 9... you could head east from Portland through the Gorge and then south to Bend, continuing south to Crater Lake. See it then down the mountain to your overnight stop.

This would also be quite a long day but you could at least see the Gorge with a quick stop at Multnomah Falls. An alternative would be just a drive-through visit of Portland then stay farther east out the Gorge.

--

As you go through Crescent City, you will probably want to see a unique lighthouse. It is the only one on the USA west coast that can be reached by a causeway only at low tide:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60944-d11…

Going through the redwoods, be sure to take Newton Drury scenic parkway, south of Klamath Calif. Once you cross the bridges, the highway becomes freeway. About 3-4 miles on you'll see the exit for Newton Drury. Don't miss it, as it's the only one. This will take you onto old Highway 101 (I remember it well!) that is now a quiet, pleasant drive that winds through thousands of giant redwoods. There are places to stop and walk under the trees. At the south end, you'll be directed back on to present-day 101, which is again a two lane highway.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32830-d36…

3. Re: Seattle to San Francisco in 17 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 06:18