We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon itinerary

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Oregon itinerary

We will be visiting Oregon for the first time in mid-August as part of an west coast RV trip. We have 12 days and since we will be towing a trailer have to decided to choose 3 areas as base camp for day trips. We will be coming from Spokane WA and are thinking 4 nights in Mt Hood/Columbia River area, 5 nights in RV park in Buxton for Portland, Astoria Cannon Beach etc. and 3 nights in Diamond Lake for Crater Lake, Toketee Falls etc. We head into California after that. My question is are we allotting the right amount of time for each area? We enjoying nature and day hikes, history and wine. We are somewhat limited in location but we need a RV park that can accommodate our big fifth wheel. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon itinerary

Hi, Vickie,

You are in for some great camping. Having a car to visit places will be great. My favorite campgrounds in the CRGNSA area is across the river in Stevenson WA. Most campgrounds in the Gorge are close to the railroads (where freight train noise is really bad and they run 24 hours a day 7 days a week.)

The Skamania Cove has some view spaces but a lot of them are regulars. If you can get one, there is one that directly faces down-river and is spectacular. But you would have to look at their site and call to see if one is available. The kite-boarders love this quiet small campground.

The other is Timberlake in Stevenson. Not a lot of amenities (in either) but personally we just need water/sewer/electricity. Timberlake is an old homestead and treed nicely, ok for tents and RVs. You just hear the soft romantic whale of a train whistle occasionally. If you choose to try Timberlake just be sure to tell them you need a level camp spot for your rig. We have auto levelers and they didn't *see* the ground to start leveling. the first time we went. They changed us to a level spot at that point.

You will have to detach the vehicle to take the Historic Columbia River highway as it is too narrow in spots to drive safely through.

It sounds like we camp alike. MrO and I prefer to set up a base camp for several days while we explore. Breaking camp every night is just too tiring and takes up so much of your time for exploring.

There is plenty to keep you occupied. I think your allowed time is perfect. Walla Walla and Hood River have a great vineyard selection. (I might add that if you do like wine, a night in Walla Walla might be nice. Now we have done that) If you are into nature you will like www.nwhiker.com to help you find beautiful hikes of all levels and you can even search by feature you would like to hike to. It features OR/WA/MT/ID. Viewpoints abound in this National Scenic Area and lots of history we can come back to when you are ready.

Timberline Lodge is a beautiful historic ski lodge not to be missed. Built with WPA money, the artists and builders have a special place in our hearts, sitting on the tallest mountain in Oregon. Great choice.

You might like the Portland Fairview RV park for Portland venues You can take in any size rig there. You and family can drive to a local park and ride to use transit downtown. Driving and parking there are reallly really bad. Your tow vehicle should be ok for other parts of Portland. It is only 15-20 minutes from downtown.

Buxton (Stubb?) uses 26 to go downtown and 26 can be a lengthy frustrating drive. About 45 minutes at the least, and not close to transportation. I think you would be upset that it is such a bad drive.

The Zoo (Washington Park) is on 26 though. Half Brit also RVs and she may know of another.

Half Brit has camped and lives on the coast for years and can help you with a list, including her hints on those campgrounds and into the Redwoods.

Hope you have fun planning a great trip.

Best,

MrsO

Edited: 23 February 2014, 20:51
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon itinerary

LL Stub Stewart in Buxton is a LOVELY campground - whomever designed it did a *wonderful* job allowing plenty of room for modern rigs! Even 50 amps! Here is my review of it; we also have a 5th wheel:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

I frankly have no idea what the other review is referring to as the sites being "close together". I wonder if they were looking at the tent area in the west section?

As long as you realize you'll be doing more than a fair amount of driving, it's a pretty good location for both Portland and the north coast. You may want to park at a west side MAX station to go into downtown Portland as truck parking is limited and hard to find unless you can fit into a parking garage structure?

An option I'll throw out is to drive to Astoria to stay a few days. There is a very nice RV park there (Lewis & Clark RV & Golf) and it would be much closer to the north coastal sights.

Out at the east end of the gorge, we have stayed in in the Washington State Park at Maryhill, which has lovely large, open sites and full hookups, right on the river. You do hear train noise and the exhaust brakes or trucks coming down the hill, but we don't find it bad inside the RV at night.

Since you mention Crater Lake, I'm assuming you're opting to avoid the coast?

We've stayed at Diamond Lake Resort. We had the 28' bumper pull then but they have a good amount of room and full hookups. Our space had a view of Diamond Lake.

Another option might be to stay somewhere down the mountain and drive up without the trailer. There are several RV parks around Ashland, Medford, Rogue River.

Where are you heading in California?

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon itinerary

Wow - quick replies !!! Thank you Mrs O and Half-Brit. This is exactly what I was hoping for. We were looking at Timberlake in Home Valley as base to avoid trucks and trains and as an easy drive up to Mt St Helens but wondered if there were be problems getting across the river for Mt Hood and Columbia River. I have not done my research on Portland but we do like cities as well. Not sure if we should try to see Portland from the east or west. Thanks for the heads up on traffic and parking. We were thinking about Stubbs so we could go to the coast , Cape Meares to Cannon Beach and maybe all the way to Astoria. DH also wants to see the Spruce Goose in McMinnville. We chose Crater Lake etc over the south coast because our next stop is Chester CA. Diamond Lake Resort looked good. I know 12 days is not enough to do everything - guess we'll just have to go back!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon itinerary

You're welcome! To get to Cape Meares, you'll need to take the Netarts Hwy out of Tillamook, not the northern Bayocean Road. That northern section has been closed for some time due to a slide and I doubt if it will be repaired anytime soon.

We've taken our trailer on Hwy 139 in NE California and it's a good road, if you're thinking of going south that way rather than on I-5. I don't think I've ever been to Chester, or it I was it was so many years ago I don't remember ;-)

For some other options of RV parks close in to Portland, click on the blue link:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22663-Portland…

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon itinerary

I am not a camping expert...so i dont know the best camping sites....I am just commenting on Itinerary.

What is your later itinerary for california?

I would suggest taking some days from the northn part of your itinerary and look to move them to the southern part of the state along the coast near Gold Beach or crescent city.

6. Re: Oregon itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:18