We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

Lancaster, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

Hi!

I'm going to a conference in Portland which finishes on 29 March, and then I have 10 days to travel down to San Francisco for my flight home. I'm travelling on my own and need to check in with 1/2 day or a day in a wifi office friendly environment now and then, but overall I'm a solo traveller so I'll be flexible.

I love outdoor swimming, seeing beaches, lakes and cycling. I'm not so keen on cold weather and would like to catch as much warm sun as possible while I'm out there. I'm on a budget, too.

Originally I had considered hiring an RV, but the work commitment and OW fees make this a bit trickier than expected. So I can take Amtrak where possible or hire a car, and generally stay in Airbnb type places or motels.

I would love your suggestions about unmissable places in this area, and also just a view on the weather - if it's warm sun that I want (at least high 50s F), am I too far North?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

Sorry to rain on your parade, so to speak, but the weather here in Portland is very similar to yours in March so any of the bodies of water, unless it is a hot spring, will be too cold to swim in. And it could be rainy but one never knows what the weather will bring us. A few weeks ago we had 10 inches of snow (which is very uncommon). Today it is sunny and will be almost 60 Fahrenheit but we may get snow at lower elevations when a cold front moves in this weekend.

From Portland you could take the train down to San Francisco but you would miss the Oregon Coast. I would recommend renting a car and driving down the coast.

If you enjoy cycling, maybe you would want to rent a bike in Portland and ride around one of the most bike friendly cities in the entire USA. We have miles and miles of bike lanes.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,657 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

We're a bit warmer than your local weather, but that time of year is still quite wet.

I'm going to toss out an idea -- what if you fly down to the Los Angeles area, then use your 10 days to go north to San Francisco? The weather will be *much* warmer farther south. True, you won't see Oregon, but you will have warm weather :-)

Did you not want to rent a car? That is the best way to see the countryside.

Another idea... http://www.jucyrentals.com/ These are small campervans and there is (I believe) no extra one way charge between LA and SF. Again, just an idea!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Lancaster, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

Great idea about cycling in Portland, I'll definitely do that!

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

agree that there is little probability of warm weather in Oregon in march. If warm weather is what you seek, I would go to California via jet or train. Plenty around SF/ Monterrey Bay/Napa to keep you busy if sunnier weather is what you are wanting. Or the idea of flying to LA and driving up, if you can swing it, would be a good option.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Lancaster, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

That's definitely a great idea! I've already been to California, so was keen to see something new, but can I definitely not trust Southern Oregon for the weather then? Is Nevada fun and sunny perhaps?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

If you haven't been to Oregon, stick with your original plan and just realize that the weather may be wet and not very warm. Oregon has such incredible natural beauty that Nevada just can't hold a candle to! Being from Lancaster, I am sure you have a rain jacket so make sure to bring it along and enjoy Oregon!

You could get lucky with some incredible early April sunshine days but it won't be swimming weather. Consider hiking instead, perhaps!

Mentioned in this post
Nevada
Nevada
United States
7. Re: Portland to San Francisco: RV, Train, Outdoor Swimming, Solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16