We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone to Portland

Port Lincoln...
2 posts
Save Topic
Yellowstone to Portland

Hi, we are two Aussies travelling from Yellowstone to Portland in late August with limited time. We would welcome any comments on which way to travel by car to see the best sites. We are more interested in scenery and history than cities. We are considering travelling via Spokane or Boise to Portland.

Also, which is the most scenic part of the Pacific Coast to between Lincoln City and San Francisco.

Cheers David

Oregon
Level Contributor
821 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

If it's history you want, be certain to travel via Boise so that you can visit the Oregon Trail Museum in Baker City. Plan to invest a day there to get the full impact if you can. It's really a wonderful overview of how people traveled to & populated the Western US.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

I would go through Spokane

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

Hi David M and welcome to TripAdvisor. You should also post on the Road Trips forum for additional help. You'll find it here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Between Lincoln City and SF there are many very scenic stretches. You're not staying in Lincoln City, are you? Not the best choice for scenery and will be slammed with people in August.

Scenic Oregon coast stretches:

Yachats to just north of Florence

Port Orford to Crescent City

Crescent City all the way south to Leggett - varies between pleasant scenery to amazingly gorgeous scenery.

I'd recommend you take Newton Drury scenic parkway, south of Klamath Calif. Once you cross the bridges, the highway becomes freeway. About 3-4 miles on you'll see the exit for Newton Drury. Don't miss it, as it's the only one. This will take you onto old Highway 101 (I remember it well!) that is now a quiet, pleasant drive that winds through thousands of giant redwoods. There are places to stop and walk under the trees. At the south end, you'll be directed back on to present-day 101, which is again a two lane highway.

If you have time take Hwy 1 from Leggett.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

David: Since this is your first post, and you didn't do any reading on TA prior, here's how it works: You post a specific question on a forum for that location. The Oregon forum is for questions about Oregon. Since you will be traveling through more than just Oregon, like Half-Brit said, post on the Road Trip forum. Also post on the other state forums for information on those specific states. Good Luck and have fun on your trip, and don't forget to drive on the RIGHT side of the road. Chuck.

Oregon
Level Contributor
821 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

Dear Phirl - why via Spokane? I was thinking they want history, so thought of the Oregon Trail. Is it the drive through the Rockies that you'd get via Spokane? What other reason would one go as far north as Spokane? (as in, what am I missing?) :)

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
342 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

In my opinion, the northern route through Spokane is much more scenic than the southern route through Boise.

There is also plenty of history along the northern route starting not too far north and west of Yellowstone and running all along, or not too far off of, I-90.

Ghost towns, old forts, historic ranches, historical museums, old territorial capitals, mine tours, the Pit in Butte, a Spanish mission, an old prison, the entire town of Wallace Idaho is on the historic register, etc.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

LOL- take the middle route for shear beauty . Missoula, MT down the Lolo Pass, (be sure to stop in the Lolo Pass rest area) Lewiston and Orofino, ID, into Walla Walla, WA and through the Gorge on I-84.

It is along the Clear Water River, you cross the Continental Divide. Clearwater River is amazingly beautiful. Highway 12 is Walla Walla.

Best,

MrsO

Port Lincoln...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

Sorry for the incorrect use of the forum but we only have four weeks and plan a road trip from Chicago to Phoenix. Most of our itinerary has been planned around several sites we would like to visit. It's just the middle that we are unsure about.

Thanks for the advice. It has been very helpful. Looking at various sites on the web I think we will enjoy any way we go. It's just a matter of trying to maxamise the enjoyment in the minimum time. And we will drive on the correct side of the road

Once again, thanks for the input

David and Kathy

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

OP asked through Boise or Spokane. I suggested Spokane because it is a fairly scenic drive from Yellowstone until you reach Spokane, then not so good. If someone is interested in Oregon Trail history through Boise is best. I had family on Oregon Trail in 1852. I drove most of trail several years ago. but not real scenic across most of Idaho.

However we used to go to Missoula from Portland typically we took the route Mrs O suggests, US-12. It is scenic most of way. However two lane road, so can be slower.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone to Portland

You're fine, David M. I suggested posting on the Road Trips forum in addition to posting here. One thing about TripAdvisor forums is that no "one" forum has all the information. When you expand out and ask questions on other related and/or nearby forums you get more information from more people :-)

With your trip, I'd probably post on all the individual state forums as well as the Road Trips forum. Of course, then you'll need to stay longer since you'll learn about all the many things to see along the way, LOL!