We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March Oregon Trip

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
March Oregon Trip

Hey fellow travelers. I'll be doing a trip to Oregon to check out the area hospitals as I'm a California nurse looking to relocate. The trip will take place mid-to-late March. I have about 4-5 days to spend exploring the Oregon area and would love to keep it as low-cost, but as scenic and exploratory as possible. I'll be arriving by train into Oregon and from there have not decided as to whether I should rent a car, take the local transit, or continue via train. I've never been to the state and am not familiar with the transit situation, esp. mid-March. My main goal is definitely to visit OHSU and surrounding Portland area. I'm up to traveling from south to north, and am debating continuing into Washington. My goals are to test out the hiking opportunities and get some coastal beach time/hiking in as well. I want to stress that living in/near a really lush/forested area is very important to me. Please let me know any suggestions you may have, as well as what the roads/climate are actually like this time of year.

Thanks a bunch!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March Oregon Trip

If you want to visit any area outside of Portland proper you will need to rent a car. Transit to the coast is definitely most efficient by car. If living in a forested area is important there is no need to go east of the Cascades in your quest for hospitals locations-unless you just want to explore the scenic value. Mid-march roads should be ok in the valley and coast range, but snow possible in the Cascades.

Of course living in some place lush means lots of rain :)

Edited: 12 March 2014, 02:57
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March Oregon Trip

The weather in March is usually rainy, particularly at the coast. Although you can easily get around Portland via public transportation, and there are some buses to/from the coast, it will be much more efficient to rent a car. Rent from a downtown office to save money as you won't pay airport taxes. Costco member by any chance? Check their travel website for rental deals.

Spring break is in March. That means the north & central coasts may have lots of visitors, and lodging may be more dificult to find. Book now - don't just wing it.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,475 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March Oregon Trip

Hi,I would want a car I think. There are so many areas of Oregon that have good hospitals you may like.

MrsO

4. Re: March Oregon Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:28