We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving I-84 after dark?

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
932 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Driving I-84 after dark?

Trying to find days to add to our itinerary in Oregon, and I'm wondering about potentially driving into the Hood River area after dark. The plan is to arrive before sundown, but we all know how that sometimes goes when road-tripping.

This is a mid-July trip with our family (two adults, two pre-teen kids), driving from the Sawtooth region in Idaho and hoping to skip a stop in Boise and gain a day by making it one long car day. Should we shoot for making it all the way to Hood River, or is there a better stopover we should consider? If we were to drive after dark, how concerning would that be in that area?

Thank you for any input.

Mentioned in this post
Idaho
Idaho
United States
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

I-84 is an easy drive, even after dark. I would not worry about that at all. Just make sure you are not overly tired:)

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
932 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

Thank you! There will be two adults, and we do a good job keeping each other awake when we have to do late-night driving. I hope to be checked in before sunset, but you just never know.

3. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 23:21
Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
932 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

What is on my mind? Montana and Wyoming, where big dark animals loom on the roads. LOL!

Wasn't sure if this was problem in eastern OR or not. Here in NY, it's just deer and they are usually few and far between. When we've driven out west at night, which we try to avoid, we were hyper-vigilant for fear of running into elk or bison on the roads.

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Baker City
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

Hood River 2011 (newest available) total crime rate per 100,000 – 57.4

USA crime rate per 100,000 - ~300

Probably far safer than back home.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

You have a right to be concerned about wildlife after dark. We too have those problems, but most of I-84 open enough to not be a big worry, limited roadside trees after Pendleton

Edited: 23 April 2014, 03:49
Mentioned in this post
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

Gracie,

You always have to be aware of animals on rural roads but on the interstate you should be OK.

Do you have your lodging set up? They will generally hold it with prior knowledge. (oh and you will have an incredible sunset!)

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,685 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

>> where big dark animals loom on the roads. LOL! <<

:-)

On I-84, you have much more to fear from the huge truck & trailer combos (we have triple trailers here) who are zooming along with a half-asleep driver eating a sandwich, talking on the phone and piloting 100,000 lb rigs at 70 MPH all at the same time :-(

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

Yup more then ok to drive after dark. I have made several trips starting in Troutdale at about sundown, headed to Glacier NP in MT. Nothing better then an overnight drive to get an extra day of vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving I-84 after dark?

From Pendleton west to Hood River is mostly open area, not many trees or even towns. The spookiest place is near Heppner/Arlington where there are many wind turbines (windmills) on the bare hillsides. They are lighted at night and you may think you are coming up on an 'alien attack'. :-)

Mentioned in this post