We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

Boston...
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

We will be in Portland in mid June and then will be driving down to San Francisco. We will definitely stop in Merlin for rafting and then Ashland for Shakespeare. We will be leaving Portland on a Monday morning and want to be in San Francisco by late Wednesday. There's so much to see in Oregon and Northern California. I'd appreciate suggestions for travel over the three-day period including the the 2 stated destinations.. Major Limitation: I CAN'T DRIVE those curvy no-guardrail MOUNTAIN/COAST ROADS. Real phobia. Other than suggesting years of psychiatry, your suggestions will be appreciated.. Day hikes are good but serious hiking was for our younger days.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

Hi, I see you made it. Great.

So go jet boating on hydraplane jetboats in Grants Pass too. They are too fun! You will see Hellgate Canyon (jetboats) and be able to stop at the OK Corral for all you can eat meal that can't be beat.

Lots of things to do in Southern Oregon. Covered Bridges, ghost towns, wineries. Can't miss there.

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,740 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

:-)

Okay, how bad is your problem with winding roads? Reason I ask is that some of Highway 101 through the redwoods is kind of winding. Not really bad at all, and coach tour buses, big RVs and full size commercial trucks drive it, so I'm trying to get a sense of what you don't like.

There are NO sections without guardrails (trust me, I'd remember that!) but some shortish sections of it are winding and there is one short stretch that is clifftop - about 2 miles long. Wonderful sturdy modern guardrail, though ;-)

If this bothers you, I'm afraid you'll be limited to taking I-5 all the way to SF. It's not terrible as freeways go, but south of Red Bluff it's quite dull.

The rafting out of Merlin is several days, isn't it? You may be thinking of what MrsO is talking about, the jet boats in Grants Pass.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 00:12
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

I don't know if the twisty turns on I-5 north of Grants Pass or around the Shasta Lakes qualify as white knucklers, but you should be aware of the fact that on any amount of driving in the west you're likely to encounter" beautiful scenery," which translates into curvy driving.

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

Three days to cover the distance from Boston to Richmond, Virginia with two stops, one of which (Ashland) will be much of an afternoon and all of an evening and a raft trip which will take over half a day. It is 12 to 13 hours straight through from Portland to San Francisco. (I have homes in Portland and near SF and drive this often.) You will have to stay on I5. There are just a few curvy places but lots of mountain driving. You will find the most curves between Ashland and Redding, CA. I would not discourage you from this trip. Even sticking with I5 it is pretty until Redding, but I would suggest that if I were coming out from Boston, I would schedule at least five days to do this and actually see something.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

Wrong side of the US Mike.

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

Mrs O - I was not clear. The distance is the same from Portland to SF as it is from Boston to Richmond. My cuteness missed the mark. The OP is from Boston and I was suggesting that the distance... Thanks.

7. Re: Driving from Portland to San Francisco - suggesttions needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17