We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best use of time

East Setauket, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best use of time

Two 70's in mid to late Aug who like views, moderate hiking and nice dining. Better off with 3 days staying in Astoria & 1 @ Cape Perpetura or 2 days at each?? Thanks for any replys

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best use of time

Hi, if you could give us a bit more information it would help us help you! What is your overall trip?

Astoria is slightly inland on the Columbia River, not the ocean. Are you looking to stay on the ocean? By Cape Perpetua do you mean Yachats?

You're staying in hotels/motels, not camping, right?

What do you call "moderate" hiking? Sometimes people mean short walks on level footpaths, and sometimes people mean several miles uphill &downhill.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best use of time

Astoria has some nice scenery, but generally appeals more to history buffs than it does hikers and others seeking outdoor recreational opportunities. So given the question you asked, I'd recommend the reverse of what you're thinking; 1 day in Astoria & 3 on the central coast, which is thought by most to be more scenic than the north. If you moved your base from Astoria to Cannon Beach or Manzanita, I'd be more inclined to suggest splitting your stay 2 & 2. Plenty of good dining options, whatever you decide.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 19:27
East Setauket, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best use of time

This is the later part of a 2 wk Seattle>Vancouver>WA & OR coast>Portland trip. We will be staying at hotels & B&Bs. Length is not a problem with trails but my wife struggles with anything remotely steep. Thx for requesting the clarifications

East Setauket, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best use of time

I did meanYachats

5. Re: Best use of time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 07:15