We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route home

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Route home

Hi,

We will be visiting Oregon in July. We are coming from Alberta, Canada and will be driving down the coast from Cannon Beach to Florence. We will be travelling in a 35ft Motorhome and towing our Van. Wondering which route would be the best to take home, meaning the least hills as we are driving the Motorhome. Should we take highway 5 from Eugene or should we keep going from Eugene to 97 up to 84. Are there any roads we should avoid on our trip?

Thanks

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route home

Heading home via Interstate 5 north from Eugene is definitely flatter and straighter -- depending where you veer east for home, you will deal with urban traffic in Portland. It's a pleasant drive, but, it is interstate.

Heading from Eugene to Hwy 97 will take you over the Cascades which is a two-lane highway; there are definitely curves but I wouldn't describe it as curvy. That drive would be considerably more scenic and varied compared to the interstate; though it would be slower. Passing lanes are relatively frequent; as are places to pull over to let speedier folks zip by. Motorhomes are regularly seen on these highways.

The only road I might caution you against is Hwy 242 [heads west out of Sisters] -- it is only open during the summer months; and has sections that are quite curvy and would be slow going. Personally, I wouldn't drive a motorhome and trailer on that section.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Route home

Thanks so much for the information. We can't wait to see Oregon!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route home

Hi, I'm a long time RVer living on the Oregon coast and we've towed our 5th wheel all around the state many times :-)

The route with the least amount of hills is I-5. It can be a pain going through Portland though. Be sure to avoid it during commute hours when the traffic is *really* bad.

Hwy 97 is a good road, but you've got to get up the mountain to get to it! Hwy 126 is okay in a big rig. You won't be going fast but there's nothing really bad about that stretch. Do not take the cut off over to Sisters - go north to join Hwy 20, then east around to Sisters.

Is your trip later in July? The weekend of the 4th is very busy and traffic will be congested just about everywhere.

There are lots of nice RV parks and campgrounds in Oregon but use caution in state parks as they are old and many are not large enough for modern big rigs.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Route home

We won't be in Oregon until July 9th. Then we will spend 2 nights in Hood River, 2 nights Cannon Beach, 1 night Depoe Bay, and 2 nights in Florence. I have our reservations at private campgrounds so hopefully we will have more room ( I have heard your state parks are beautiful though).

Thanks for the info. I think we will take interstate 5 home up to I84.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route home

I wouldn't argue with Half Brit, she's very knowledgeable but we do take out rig into Sisters, then on to Hood River in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Our friends live at Crooked River Ranch so that is a natural way for us to go. It goes right past Mount Hood. At that point you could choose to take Oregon 35 to Hood River or 26 to through Sandy to Boring and Gresham and across Troutdale to I-84.

If your rig is in good shape and you are comfortable driving it that is a beautiful drive.

But we haven't taken it in a couple of years. I think it would still be ok. You would burn more gas.

MrsO

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Route home

During our time in Hood River we plan on taking our van to Mt. Hood to the adventure park, and then around the loop to the Historic Columbia River Highway back to Hood River. Is this doable in a day? We will only spend a few hours at Mt. Hood Adventure Park as only our son can participate, our daughter is disabled and won't be able to do any of the activities. We plan on stopping at Multnomah Falls. Which other falls would be close to the road? Our daughter can do short walks with help or wait in the vehicle while my son and one of us parents go to check it out.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route home

I was assuming that since you are towing a van, that your motorhome is a larger diesel pusher? So your overall length is approaching 60 feet? I don't think I'd want to take that large of a towing combo on the cut off. Looking up the number it's Hwy 242 - the seasonal one that closes in winter. Just to make sure we're all talking about the same road LOL :-)

-

Where are you staying in Florence? I ask because it is inland behind the sand dunes, although there is a distant ocean view from Harbor Vista county park. One of our favourite RV parks is just a half hour south of Florence at Winchester Bay where the spaces are right on the water:

http://www.winchesterbayrvresort.com/

Reviews.... tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52144-d779523-…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Route home

Our Motorhome is a 35ft gas, not the power of a diesel pusher, so we like roads with the least amount of hills. Is highway 101 from Cannon beach to Florence very hilly?

We are staying at Heceta Beach RV Resort Park in Florence. I assume it's out of town as we can walk to the beach from there. My son wants to try Sandboarding while in Florence, that's why I've booked 2 nights. We will probably spend most of the day at Newport, before heading over the first night, so we will really have only 1 full day.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route home

Hi,

Your daughter will be able to see many street close waterfalls (while your rig is parked in a campground) along the Historic Columbia River Highway. It is the Ainsworth State Park exit from going east on I-84 or start in Troutdale at exit 17 or 18 and along the Sandy River (they are clearing a rockslide there now but it should be stable soon)

At Latourall Falls (from Guy Talbot State Park) (and if she's light enough to carry for not too) far she could get a little wet. Wahkeena, Horsetail are all right on this old road. You will probably see lots of unnamed falls as it has been a wet spring. Multnomah Falls has a nice visitor center.

You may want to watch the kite boarders and SUP near Hood River. They sure are colorful. If he likes sandboarding then he'll love stand up paddling!

It will be a very full exhausting day if you do as planned. There is so much there.

Be sure to ask any other questions. We are happy to help.

Best

MrsO

Edited: 18 June 2014, 04:33
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route home

Hwy 101 from Cannon Beach to Florence is an easy drive and you should not have any problems.