We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Sisters to Yachats

R R
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Route from Sisters to Yachats

Hello, I'm looking for ideas on which is the easiest route to drive from Sisters to Yachats. There are great ideas in TA already re the most scenic. But for our early September 2014 trip, we need the most gentle, straight-forward way. Any ideas for rest stops along the way would also be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

Hello and welcome. Hmmm, the most gentle way will not necessarily be the most straight-forward way!

I'm thinking the easiest way in terms of fewer miles of winding road would be to go south on Hwy 97 to Crescent, cut across to Hwy 58, and down to Eugene. Then take Hwy 126 to 101. You'll get a few miles of curves on 101, but not many.

To my memory, Hwy 22 is a better road than Hwy 20 coming down the mountain, but that takes you even farther out of your way.

Whichever way you take down the mountain, Hwy 126 to Florence is a much better road than Hwy 20 to Newport.

R R
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

Thanks so much. I'll definitely look into that route. I appreciate your quick response.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

I agree 100% w/ halfBrit. The other nice thing about hwy 58 is, from the Crescent cutoff to summit is a just a few miles, the rest of the way is all downhill.

R R
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

Thanks to you as well. We looked at that route last night, and although it definitely looks like the gentlest one, it seems to add at least an hour to the trip. So we may look for one that is a bit shorter. How winding a drive is it across 20? We'll likely need to have several routes in mind since there is so much fire danger this year. Again, thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

I like 20/126 with stops at Clear Lake and Sahalie falls, the beautiful drive along the McKenzie River and then thru Eugene to Florence.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

Papa's recommended 20/126 is the fastest and least stressful -- plus lots of lovely scenery between Sisters and the Eugene area. As you noticed, 97 to 58 adds a lot of miles to your trip.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 19:43
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,998 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

You are so right to consider more than one route. Fire season is indeed upon us. Hopefully the one you choose will be fire free.

MrsO

R R
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the info. We're going to the Sisters Folk Festival, which is a wonderful event. And this year, we decided to stop in Yachats for several days before returning to the Bay Area. So the route info is great. Again, thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

Your worst driving experience might be the traffic jams getting in and out of Sisters.

R R
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route from Sisters to Yachats

Sounds like you've been there. Actually, we go into town a day ahead of the festival and leave the day afterwards, but I've hear that it's gotten much more crowded since we last went in 2011.