We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

We have one week and I am trying to figure out where to go! I know Oregon is very scenic, but do not know much about what there is to do that would be really fun and interesting. What would be the best Airport to fly into to see as many sites as possible. We are traveling with snotty teens! LOL They like scenery, but also like to check out unique shops, etc. Any guidance would be great! Thanks for your time!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Siennastef,

welcome.

you may want to state which airport(s) you are thinking of. I know of PDX along with Hillsboro, Pendleton, Eugene and I'm sure some others, but I'm guessing you will be arriving in PDX?

also, others will want to know if you will be driving and where you will be wanting to stay along with budgets.

as far as what your kids may like.

> White water rafting

> sand rails - multiple seat dune buggies

> learn how to wind surf?

hope you enjoy your stay.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,100 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Yes, also waterfalls, hiking, coast are thoughts too. There is so much to see and do here. Small state packed with venues.

Best

MrsO

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Thanks. Well, we're from Florida, so we've had enough of Beaches! Like waterfalls & hiking (short hikes). Want to see scenic stuff and love fishing. Which airport would be the best spot to fly into to see as much of the good stuff Oregon has to offer--we have one week. Thanks :)

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Thanks!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,100 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

You are welcome.

For hiking you can get a preview at www.nwhiker.com and choose Oregon hikes, then the general area you want.

One interesting place in Washington, really less than a hike it is switchbacks is an extinct volcano tip called <<<Beacon Rock.>>>Nice views and it has in interesting story they will explain at Multnomah Falls maybe (great Information Center there with well trained very nice volunteers staffing it)

Bonneville Dam and Locks is free and it is a beautiful area. You can see the locks working with any luck and go down into the dam.

Hood River and area has kiteboarders, windsurfers and stand up paddlers (and lessons) Fruit Loop, wine AVA. Plane and Auto Museum.

I think you would like Portland and the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Maybe Mount Hood and Timberline Lodge.

MrsO

So maybe Portland (PDX) would work for you.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,406 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Oregon beaches are nothing like Florida beaches. Think light houses on rocky cliffs and surf lines teeming with sea life in fascinating tide pools. Leave your bikini at home and bring an extra sweatshirt. Forget the tranquil tepid Atlantic and experience the roar of the frigid Pacific.

As for airports, a lot depends on what you decide you want to do the most. Obviously, PDX is the main entry point and offers easy access to the Gorge, the northern coast, the Willamette wine district, Mt. Hood (Timberline) and Mt. St. Helens.

Eugene gives you easy access to the central coast and central Cascades (and also has some fine wineries). Redmond is best for Bend, the high desert and Crater Lake. Medford is best for southern Oregon, Ashland and also for Crater Lake and the California redwoods.

From a fare point of view, PDX usually has the lowest...with Eugene next, followed by Redmond and Medford. All but PDX will require connecting flights from Florida.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Thanks so much, researching now!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Coming from Florida, I think you'd all be wowed by central Oregon, and particularly the area around Sisters. You'd enjoy a few days in Black Butte Ranch, but a week would be better: http://www.blackbutteranch.com/ . That said, I agree with o'poppa, so suggest you spend 3 days on the coast, 3 days in central Oregon, and 1 in Portland. Whatever you decide, best to fly in/out of PDX as service to any other Oregon airport is pretty spotty.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

>>Oregon beaches are nothing like Florida beaches.<<

To get a quick idea of what the Oregon coast looks like, click on the link below, then click on "84 visitor photos". You'll see a variety of coastal scenes. There are lots of places to hike, great scenery and even a waterfall or two at/near the beach :-)

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g28958-d14…

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Airport is best 2 fly into 2 C as much as possible?

Siennastef,

If you're into Volcanos, you can head up to Mt St Helens. Ape Caves is on the way up to Mt. St. Helens too.

others will be able to tell you the details.

The Willowa's (NE Oregon) are beautiful but are a good days drive.

i would agree that our beaches and your beaches are same but different. If you have a chance and are in the area, i would do a look see. for 1, we can use ours since the sand isn't 1000 F when its hot out.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 01:19