We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

Clarkston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

My fiancée and I are planning to venture out to Oregon for the Michigan State/Oregon football game in September. My plan is to jet after the game for the coast, and using the next day (Sunday) make our way up to Aberdeen, WA (we've already booked a room)....My question lies in where I should plan to stay on Saturday night??? My concern is the long drive time and planned initially to stay somewhere north of Newport, however after looking at some more "things to do" I may regret not going down to Cape Perpetua/ Heceta Head Lighthouse, for at least a "glance". So I was really wanting to stay in Yachats.

We are taking the next day on the Washington coast to do some hiking, so a "beautiful drive" including the Three Capes route (probably stopping at the 2 most southern)/stop at Cannon Beach/Dinner in Astoria on the river are what I'm looking to do while on the Oregon. So is starting ourselves off so far south possibly spreading ourselves too thin? We have a limited time and want to get as much exposure as possible...thanks for the help, and any other quick stop suggestions/places to eat or drink are much appreciated.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

With a kickoff at 3:30, you won't get out of the stadium until 7 or 7;30 at best. Depending on where you will be staying or parking (or taking a shuttle) you won't clear the traffic around Autzen and be "jetting" your way anywhere until 8 to 8:30. It'll take you 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get to Yachats (which means you'll be driving the cliffs around Heceta Head in the dark and won't see some of the most dramatic coastline in Oregon.

Driving up 101 isn't like being on a major interstate. It's two lanes in most places and, on Sunday, will be slowed by lots of people enjoying the sights and last days of summer. Think slow RVs and motor homes, etc.

Without stopping for any activities at Cape Perpetua, in Newport or anywhere else along the coast, it'll take you all day to get to Aberdeen.

From Eugene, you can head up to Corvallis and drive directly to Newport. Backtracking down the coast to Heceta Head, Cape Perpetua and Yachats would cost you too much time and no progress northward.

You could also skip the central coast altogether and just head up I-5 to Salem and cut across to Lincoln City (or cut over farther up to the north coast).

Regarding the big game, though, I am hoping you have your tickets and have thought out the parking/lodging logistics in Eugene/Springfield.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

I've no better advice than o'poppa's already given, but I do have a comment on this:

"...I may regret not going down to Cape Perpetua/ Heceta Head Lighthouse, for at least a 'glance'."

I think you're right about that, and you might regret it even more so when you get to Aberdeen. Any particular reason you chose to stay there over the many beautiful possibilities along the Oregon coast?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

Are you set on Aberdeen? If it's scenic hiking you want, Oregon has tons of that!

From Eugene, Hwy 126 is a much better road over to Hwy 101 than Hwy 20. But I think to do all you want, you'll either have to add a day & night or not try to go as far north as Aberdeen.

Clarkston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

Thanks so much for the feedback.

As for tix, I'm hoping to get some through the MSU ticket office, otherwise I've already planned for paying an arm and a leg on stubhub or the like.

I've given myself 2 days from to make it all the way up to the Olympic Peninsula and (Cape Alava, for last sunset), and by the sound of it, I may need 3.

Its really Westport not Aberdeen (Twin Harbors State Park, is where we would be staying in) and I guess I just kind of picked that as a "halfway point"

I suppose I am just trying to pack too much into this trip, as I have wanted to get out that way for so long...

However, would trying to head south (crashing in a motel near Roseburg) after the game, hitting 101 at Bandon, then heading up to Newport or Lincoln City for the night be doable? Then of course continuing with my planned stops NEAR Aberdeen (WAY open to suggestions as to where to stay on the cheap) and then some OLP time and staying in Ozette, WA.

I've been really enjoying planning this vacation, and am thankful I'm using this board as a resource, though I probably should have started here, lol

Clarkston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

We're really stuck on getting up to Ozette for the last continental sunset, as we saw the first sunrise in Maine a couple years ago. Just trying to squeeze in as much as I can, with what little time we have.

However, if it helps with suggestions, we ARE doing the Columbia River Scenic Highway on the Friday before the game and wanted to do a short hike in near Lake Quinalut WA and stop at Ruby Beach as well. So thought at the very least had to get as far north as Aberdeen to get to Ozette by 5;45-6pm for the hike to the ocean, sunset at 730.

Thanks again

Edited: 25 June 2014, 21:07
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

I really don't see any point in going south to Roseburg or over to Bandon since your goal is to go north. Make a reservation for the night in Florence and save the drive up the coast for the morning when you can see Heceta Head Lighthouse. Stop at Cape Perpetua for a short hike from the visitor center. You can pick a forest trail or just hike down to the tidepools and blow hole if the timing is right. Then on through Yachats to Newport, where you can check out the sea lions on the dock in the historic bayfront. You won't have time for the aquarium. Depoe Bay is just up the coast a bit and you can look out for whales there. Then keep going north on 101. If you want to stop for the night before you reach Washington, take a look at Astoria.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

I love the Cape Alava hike! I don't know if you have researched it much, but that is one hike that you absolutely need to time with the tides, otherwise you will be in a world of hurt. The water comes right up to the ledge, and there is nowhere for you to go, if you are there around high tide. You definitely want to be on the beach part of the hike at low tide, for the water as well as being able to get to and see the petroglyphs etc. Now if you are just meaning to hike to the edge of the beach and stand there and see the sunset, then yes there are no worries about the tides. That said, I hope you can manage the loop hike as it really is special. We have done it several times and love it.

8. Re: Coastal Itinerary: Point A to Point B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16