We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
1 post
Save Topic
Portland,Oregon to Santa Cruz, California Road Trip!

So me and my boyfriend are planing to road trip to Santa Cruz, California to visit a friend in the next month or so. We are planing on visiting someone in Roseburg, Oregon and then taking HWY 101 and HWY 1 all the way to Santa Cruz. We would like to know if there are some neat places along the way to stop to eat(not expensive we are HS grads so not alot of money *sad face*), photograph, swim, etc. This will be my first time outside the Pacific Northwest so i want to explore a little :)

Edited: 06 July 2014, 19:41
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,536 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland,Oregon to Santa Cruz, California Road Trip!

http://taylorsausage.com/

You'll be turning west on 199 out of Grants Pass on your way to Crescent City and the wonderful redwoods. Along the way, in Cave Junction, is Taylor's Sausage...an amazing place to grab lunch and pick up some tasty snacks. Every kind of game meat you can imagine (some of which is sausage, but ranges from steaks to hamburger).

Going down 101 through the redwoods you'll find lots of mom and pop type places to try. I don't have any suggestions there, although a few of our coastal experts who travel the route more often probably do.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,116 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland,Oregon to Santa Cruz, California Road Trip!

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. From Roseburg, you can take Hwy 142 west to Bandon to get to the coast faster. Then you'll see the beautiful southern Oregon coast :-)

Will you be camping (cheapest) or are you thinking of inexpensive motels?

As you get farther south, the ocean water will be slightly warmer, but for the most part it's kind of cold to really swim. People do - just not very many people! Do keep very alert and don't swim alone. (Sorry to sound like a parent, but every summer people die in the ocean.)

How many days do you have for your trip?

Once you get to Hwy 1, Fort Bragg has some inexpensive motels but other than there, you'll find prices will be higher the closer you get to San Francisco.

Take a cooler and buy ice as you go along (or get some from your motels - take a gallon size ziploc baggie). Then keep drinks snacks and lunch stuff in the cooler to really cut down on eating costs. Grocery stores are cheaper than restaurants!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland,Oregon to Santa Cruz, California Road Trip!

I echo Half Brit, take a package of baggies. Pull up a seat and eat sandwiches while viewing the beautiful views! You can't get such pretty in a restaurant.

We save by getting a really nice lunch and having snacks or sandwiches for dinner. Same food, less money and sometimes smaller portions. But enough.

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,116 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland,Oregon to Santa Cruz, California Road Trip!

We do that too MrsO :-)

5. Re: Portland,Oregon to Santa Cruz, California Road Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:16