We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McMinnville to Mt. Hood

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
McMinnville to Mt. Hood

It looks like the quickest, most efficient route from McMinnville to Mt. Hood would be to head toward Portland and then catch Route 26 eastward. But it seems like we risk hitting Portland traffic going that way. Checking the map, there are other routes, but they're smaller back roads and I don't know their conditions or the extra time they might require. Is there another recommended route other than going back to Portland?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

Not only in Portland, but traffic on 99W from Sherwood through Tigard can be a bugger at times too. So best for you would be to cut over to I-5 on one of those back roads between Newberg and Tualatin, then take I-205 north. Exit to hwy 224/212 at Clackamas, which runs into hwy 26 near Boring.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

My thoughts exactly, thrumylens. Take 18/99W through Newberg and to Sherwood. At Sherwood, turn right at the major intersection (traffic lights, shopping centers on both sides of 99W) and continue to I-5 in Tualatin (on-ramp to southbound I-5 is just beyond Fred Meyer store). You'll be just north of the on-ramp to I-205, right side lanes of I-5. Continue north on 205 to the exit mentioned in the previous post.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,727 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

I mostly agree, although being a local of this area there is no way I would take Tualatin Sherwood road. Cut through on wilsonville road in Newberg or Tonquin road in Sherwood. Either will save a ton of time and your patience:). Then the 205 to Clackamas to Boring is the route we prefer.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

Agree, Newberg would be less congested. If you are mapquesting add Damascus (212) and Sandy (26) to your route and it will keep you out of the Portland congestion. These roads are great roads. Just less traveled.

If you want a snack stop in at the Toll House Bakery and restaurant in Sandy,

What do you want to see in Mt Hood? Are you going to Timberline Lodge or just driving?. The driveway to Timberline is just past Government Camp on your left. Timberline is fun to visit, it is a historic ski lodge built and dedicated during WWII. It is perched on our tallest mountain and has several dining options. Interesting Ranger lead tours, more available during the summer too as it has some lineoleum carvings and old historic artwork done by the WPA. the view off the parking lot and from the Cascade Dining room is fabulous! We have a beer in the Rams Head bar upstairs. Call ahead if you are interested in a tour to see if any are available.

If you need lodging options let us know budget and your preference of lodging.

If you want to drop down to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area you can make a left (merge left) on O.35 and come down right beside Hood River.

Best

MrsO

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

Thanks everyone for the great tips. We need to be in Hood River that evening, so the plan is to drive around Mt. Hood, possibly stop at Timberline and do the Fruit Loop before heading to Hood River for the night.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

We live in Tigard and when we head to Mt Hood area we take 205 to the road to Boring Sandy. we don't get on 212 at exit 12 we use exit 11 and then Jennifer, but that may be confusing to you.

How to get to 205 is a good question. I try to stay off Tualatin Sherwood Road. It is two lane for much of it and there are a lot of trucks on it and three or four lights. so it can move slow at times. if you get behind a truck. However it is pretty clear where to go. Tualatin Road a bit north can be better, though it snakes around a bit. And not sure about leaving at Newberg. That can be confuisng

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

gbpakrfan

The Fruit Loop is *IN Hood River. You should enjoy it.

MrsO

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

phirl,

I have to agree that getting off in Newberg looks a bit confusing. In checking Google Maps it looks like you need to do the following:

-Take 219 (St. Paul Way)

-Left on Springbrook Road

-Right on Wilsonville Road

-Follow Wilsonville Road as it goes south and bends along the Willamette River until you get to 5.

Please let me know if I'm off-base here.

MrsO: Speaking of being off-base, I thought the Fruit Loop was in the Mt. Hood area. Thanks for setting me straight.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

"The Fruit Loop is *IN Hood River."

I think it's more accurate to say Hood River is in the Fruit Loop. The south end of the Fruit Loop is Parkdale, which is about 16 miles from Hood River, so you could do one half of the loop as you're driving from Timberline to Hood River. mappery.com/maps/Hood-River-County-Fruit-Loo…

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: McMinnville to Mt. Hood

pakrfan. That is correct. Wilsonville Road nice drive along the river more or less. but does seem a bit of extra driving. Should not be a lot of traffic. Watch that turn on to Springbrook. You really a just barely on it, before it becomes Wilsonville Rd

picked up an NFL Packers Cap at a garage sale recently. I wear it when I have lunch with my Packer friends