We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon itinerary help

Newland, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon itinerary help

We're visiting for the first time, and I'm not sure how much to try and do. We're flying in and out PDX, in on a Sunday night, out on Sat am. With 5 full days, is it too much to try and visit Columbia River Gorge, Willamette Valley, Bend, Ashland wineries, and the coast? We want to take in the natural beauty of Oregon, maybe a short hike or something to enjoy the outdoors, and visit the wineries of course. I thought we might take off first thing Monday am, then wrap up with a little time in Portland on Friday. Another option to the southern wineries would be to head north and take in some of Washington's. As far as driving distance and scenery, is there a better option on that?

Newland, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Oregon itinerary help

I think we'll stay one night in Hood River, 2 nights at the coast, and then 1 night in wine country, with our first and last being in Portland. Any suggestions for B&B's or hotels in those 4 areas? We prefer B&B's. It sounds like Cannon Beach is the favorite destination on the coast, and maybe Dundee area in wine country? I'm still open to any comments! I had no idea Oregon could be so overwhelming in what it offers! It sounds like we'll see beautiful scenery, enjoy good wine and wonderful farm fresh food wherever we go! We'll arrive late the first night, so we'll just look for a good breakfast Mon am and take off for the gorge area. Then we'll come back to Portland on Friday to have a little time to explore an area with maybe a "must" place for dinner?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Oregon itinerary help

We go to Cannon Beach often and thoroughly enjoy it. Take a look at the Cannon Beach Hotel. It is a very small hotel, with a B&B feel to it. It is not smack on the ocean (one restaurant behind it), but a couple of the rooms do have ocean views. We have stayed there and liked it. For hotels, we usually stay at the Surfsand Resort and have been going there for years. Other places we have had good stays are Schooner's Cove and the Blue Gull Inn. September is still a busy time there, so I would get lodging there secured asap.

Dundee is a cute little town, but there isn't a whole lot to it as far as the town goes. The Inn At Red Hills there is very nice, and we have stayed there and liked it. It does sit right on hwy 99 though, but inside you do not notice. You might also take a look at places in Newberg, Carlton and McMinnville. In Newberg, Chehalem Ridge B&B is beautiful and has absolutely stunning views of the valley!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,102 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Oregon itinerary help

Go to the Hood River page and look under specialty hotels. Thee are so many nice ones there. Read a few reviews to see which one you would like.

I like the Columbia Gorge Hotel. It's a National Historic Landmark and overlooks the Gorge. It has a great cook and even a waterfall in the corner. It is off of exit 62.

Many b&bs have windows overlooking the river Their hosts have lots of local knowledge.,

Best

MrsO

Newland, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Oregon itinerary help

Update on plans: we'll spend our first full day driving from Portland to Hood River, with a stop at the Gorge and hopefully a couple of wineries. We'll stay overnight in Hood River and complete any sight seeing in that area the next day, then drive to Cannon Beach. Is Timberline Ridge very far out of the way? We'll stay at Cannon Beach 2 nights to catch as much of the coast as we can and relax a little. How long is the drive down to the dunes? Then we head to Willamette Valley for wineries and an overnight stay. Our last day we'll continue visiting in the Willamette Valley until we drive to Portland for the night. Our flight out is early the next am. Is there construction/traffic that would delay us getting to the airport from downtown? Should we stay closer to the airport? I'd rather stay downtown since it's our only afternoon/evening in Portland. A few questions: recommended driving directions to enjoy the view but avoid any problem areas you know about? Suggested stops along your recommended route...for quick easy hike, photos, good food? Thank you for your input!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,028 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Oregon itinerary help

>> How long is the drive down to the dunes? <<

From Cannon Beach to the Florence area is 3½ to 4 hours one way. There will be lots of traffic and Hwy 101 is only two lanes for the most part.

>>Our flight out is early the next am. Is there construction/traffic that would delay us getting to the airport from downtown?<<

There is always big city traffic, and you can never be sure there won't be an accident. I'd opt for staying near the airport, but then I'm not a gambler when it comes to catching planes ;-)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,102 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Oregon itinerary help

In Hood River we like Marchesi Vineyard and Viento. For lodging look at Columbia Gorge Hotel, a National Historic Landmark/place on a cliff overlooking the Gorge. (or Columbia Cliff Villas, sister properties but no restaurant.) They share a waterfall!

I think you mean Timberline Lodge. Our Historic Ski Lodge on MT Hood. I always count on a couple of hours drive alongside Hood River ( OR35 to 26 then a 5 mile driveway that is incredible) Plenty of photo ops.

You have a good plan. You could even leave from Timberline for the coast ~ no backtracking that way.

MrsO

Edited: 27 August 2014, 23:58
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Oregon itinerary help

Welcome back, Donna -

This and other maps at the same website might help in planning your day in the Gorge: columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_r… . As you see, it's more than just "a stop". ;-)

From Hood River to Timberline Lodge is about an hour, but it would add more than that to your drive time if you're planning to visit it on your way to the coast (because you'd then take hwy 26 back to Portland rather than I-84). Whichever you decide, I'd suggest taking a northern route to the coast from Portland, either hwy 30 directly to Astoria, or I-5 north into WA, crossing the bridge to hwy 30 at Longview, or getting on WA's SR 4, where you'd cross the Columbia on the Astoria-Megler Bridge in Astoria. Do whatever sightseeing you have planned between Astoria and Seaside this day, saving the next day for Cannon Beach and the immediate surrounding area.

After your two nights at Cannon Beach, head south to Tillamook, sightseeing and stopping along the way, and possibly including a portion of Three Capes Scenic Loop. You might continue south to hwy 22 before turning inland towards wine country, but my choice would be to take hwy 6 from Tillamook, then turn south towards wine country on hwy 47 at Banks. I like the scenery as the road meanders alongside the Wilson River, and there's the added bonus of a pretty little waterfall just after mile post 29. Wineries are generally open 10:00am - 5:00pm, so plan your drive accordingly.

There are smaller dunes near Pacific City, but they're not worth a special trip. The ones you *really* want to see are south of Florence, 3.5 - 4 hours from Cannon Beach, so not practical for the short time you're on the coast. Next trip, maybe?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Oregon itinerary help

"Our flight out is early the next am."

How early? Construction won't be a problem. And going east out I-84 in the morning is opposite the normal rush hour flow, so in the many times we've driven that route to catch a morning flight, we've not found traffic to be much of a problem either. If there is a back-up, it's usually just for a short distance on I-205, after exiting off I-84. Getting on I-84 from the downtown core is easy too. So if you allow yourselves 25 minutes for the drive to PDX, I think you'll be fine.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,102 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Oregon itinerary help

Construction and traffic Always slow you down.

But Portland traffic is usually not too bad. We do allow extra time because you never know.

m

20. Re: Oregon itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 07:16