We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ROAD TRIP HELP! Seattle-->Oregon-->North Cali

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ROAD TRIP HELP! Seattle-->Oregon-->North Cali

Hi! I am a solo traveller flying into Seattle Sept 8th, 2014 and leaving on a road trip (renting a car) down through Oregon into Northern California for 2 weeks from Sept . I am hoping to hit as many great state parks as I can. I've heard great things about the parks in Oregon, and I've gotten great suggestions about where to go, but I'm always looking for more advice on everything, including:

1. what kind of weather to expect?

2. what parks are "not to be missed"

3. should I reserve a tent campsite in advance? how does payment work for that?

4. any advice about car rentals in the area? (picking up at Seattle-Tacoma airport, dropping off in SF)

5. since I'll be travelling in Sept I'm not sure what kind of outdoor sporting might be available--I would love some water sports on the coast

6. would love great hiking trail suggestions, other activities or opportunities I might not even know about

7. how accessible are trail maps? should I get ahold of them beforehand online or are they available from a park office?

8. what kind of wildlife should I expect in the region? I read that there is very low % of lymes disease cases in the area...is it probable I will find issues with ticks..?

9. any other great advice for a solo camper??

All help MUCH appreciated. This is very new to me and I want to make the most of it.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ROAD TRIP HELP! Seattle-->Oregon-->North Cali

I think you are being unfair to those trying to help. You did not reply to comments on your other string, posted below, and it seems that you might have changed your itinerary. And you really need to be specific; northern California is a big chunk of land, do you still mean San Francisco? You've not said that here and we could rightly ask, is this a round trip to Seattle?

http://tinyurl.com/leonx5j

For weather, go to any climate website for each major city along the coast.

Car rentals were discussed on your other string.

What "water sports" are you talking about?

How much time are you spending in WA State (see my point about starting elsewhere or cutting SF on your other string)?

Edited: 12 August 2014, 23:06
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ROAD TRIP HELP! Seattle-->Oregon-->North Cali

I see you are quite young, alwaysartemis :-)

So first question for you is . . . do you have your car rental secured yet? They do charge a hefty extra per-day fee for drivers under age 25. Also, you need to be sure you know how much your one-way drop off charge will be.

So, let us know that straight off :-)

Second question . . . what is your final destination? Knowing that will help us make suggestions.

Some general info:

Weather should be very nice, reasonably warm, low chance of rain but of course it's still possible.

Don't worry about ticks.

Water sports - Jerry's Jet Boats in Gold Beach. You can rent kayaks at various places along the coast.

-

Thanks Voyaging!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ROAD TRIP HELP! Seattle-->Oregon-->North Cali

Thanks! I am 25 so I am old enough. I will be ending in San Francisco; I plan to go to Lake Tahoe and definitely Yosemite before ending my trip in SF. (Then the next two weeks I am visiting friends in SF and LA but won't necessarily be camping)

Thanks so much for your help! I am not sure what to expect with a rental situation love this...and being as I am just 25 this year I have little understanding of rentals in the first place, like what kinds of extra charges there are and what a good quote is.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ROAD TRIP HELP! Seattle-->Oregon-->North Cali

Just start looking up the different companies - Hertz, Budget, National etc. and see what numbers they come up with. Make sure you include adequate insurance. The drop off fee may vary, but don't be surprised at something in the range of $150 to $250 extra.

The price may be a lot cheaper if you do not rent from the airport. Ask on the Seattle forum for help with this and rental locations other than the airport.

5. Re: ROAD TRIP HELP! Seattle-->Oregon-->North Cali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 07:16