We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

Houma, LA
12 posts
Save Topic
18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

My wife, two daughters (age 10 and 12), and I are taking a vacation in the late summer of this year. We are leaving south Louisiana heading straight up the U.S to Chicago then heading east toward the coast. We plan on driving down the east coast to Destin, FL then head back home to Houma, LA. We will have 18 days to do this and we are traveling in our own vehicle so we will be staying in hotels along the way. Our initial plans were to have key stops. We decided on Branson, MO then Chicago. From Chicago to Niagara Falls, NY or Canada. From there to New York City to Washington DC. We thought about Colonial Williamsburg. After that maybe Myrtle beach, SC before Destin. If anyone has any thoughts about our vacation or if anyone thinks of a new stop along our trip, please give us your input. Each stop we make we are planning on staying 1-2 days maximum. Please keep this in mind when offering suggestions. If you live in or visited any of these cities and would like to share your opinions on clean places to stay, attractions we may want to see, or restaurants we must eat at, please give us your opinion. We will try to stay away from the amusement parks and visit educational and scenic areas. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

To see where we are planning to go please click on the following link. http://www.ndanet.com/roadtrip.jpg

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

Although your trip as planned probably won't take you into Pennsylvania, you'll come pretty close to Philadelphia enroute to DC from NYC, and if it's history & scenery you're looking for, Philly & the surrounding PA farmlands is well worth the detour. From Philly, a 2-hour drive west will take you through the lovely Amish countryside to Gettysburg, a town every American should visit once. From Gettysburg, DC is only about 90 minutes SE. I don't know if this is do-able for you with your time frame - I would suggest no less than a night each in Philly & Gettysburg - but it's a suggestion.

Your trip sounds amazing - enjoy!

Mt Holly Springs, PA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

Just this last weekend me and my wife stayed at Harpers Ferry WV. It is a beautiful little town with much historical significance (John Brown's raid, Civil war Battles, Thomas Jefferson, Lewis and Clark, etc...). we stayed at a B&B called the Jackson Rose and it was very nice - it is on the National registry of historic Places because it was Stonewall Jackson's HQs during much of the Civil War...you can even stay in his room!) We found the town to have much to do for young and old - shopping, river rafting/tubing, beautiful hikes on the Appalachian Trail/ C&O Canal tow path, great overlooks, etc.. It is not far from Washington DC, Baltimore and Gettysburg so if you plan on visiting any of these places it will be not far out of your way. i am sure you will enjoy it as much as we did!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
512 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

Definitely don't miss Philadelphia, far too much history to just drive by! You'll be headed down I-95 anyway and will literally pass right through us!

DC takes takes a lot of time to do right, so you should have a plan of attack way ahead of time for sure since you won't have much time at all there.

Skip the USA side of Niagara Falls, not much to see there unless you do the tour that you walk around under the falls. The Canuck side is much better. You don't need to allot much time for there, though - unless you want to do a little gambling ;)

Unless you're an outdoors person, there's not much between Buffalo and NYC - and I mean nothing (plus, they call it B-lo for a reason, not much going on there, either). If you are an outdoorsy family, let us know and we can give some tips on what to do between Blo and NYC.

Norfolk is very impressive; and (if it's still possible), definately try and get onto a Navy ship. I would suggest the smaller crusiers or frigates over the popular carriers (if one is in port) because they tour on the carriers is lame unless you have a private personal tour (ie, you know someone). On the otherhand, the smaller ships are pretty much wide open and much more interesting.

A stop in Nag's Head/Outer Banks, NC would be a nice stop.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

Stop in Philly if you like art, or if there is an exhibit that your children may like at the Franklin Institute (right now it's Star Wars), walk around South Street, maybe visit the mint.

I would just check out things you may be interested and decide from there.

5. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 06:19