We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocono Family Vacation

Rockaway, NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pocono Family Vacation

Hello,

My family is looking to spend a long weekend in the Poconos. We will have two small children with us (just over one year). We're looking to stay in a town where we can do small trips from where we end up staying (ie: park, zoo, outlet, shopping, etc.) since we'll have to take breaks for the babies' naps.

From what I can see, Tannersville and Stroudsburg look like good options. Just wondering if someone could confirm this or perhaps suggest a better option.

Thanks for your help!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pocono Family Vacation

Perhaps a rental home in one of the many gated communiites of the Poconos might be a good option for you. We have stayed in both Arrowhead Lakes and Towamensing Trails. As far as location, Arrowhead is more central. It's off of Rt. 940, about 8 miles from Mt. Pocono. VRBO can be of help if you choose to go this route.

Our daughter's first "real" vacation was at a rental home in the Poconos, and it was nice to be able to put her to bed early and then we would have the rest of the evening to relax while not having to "tiptoe" around. Have a great time!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Mount Pocono
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pocono Family Vacation

I wouldn't stay in Stroudsburg. It has more of a "city" feel than country. Tannersville is nice. What type of activities are you going to see/do? Here is a link to get more info:

http://www.800poconos.com/

The folks at the vacation bureau are great! They can also tell you what the availability is for the dates you are visiting, and help you locate the lodging best for your needs. Have fun and good luck!!

VegasSue

New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pocono Family Vacation

Owner Vivienne LaBarbera 15-1503-15 Moshannone Drive , Arrowhead Lakes, Pocono

15-1503-15 Moshannone Drive (owned by Vivienne LaBarbera) , Arrowhead Lakes, Pocono, PA

This is a review on the house I rented for two weeks in Poconos over the summer where I brought my mom and two kids age 3 years old and 10 months old. This is my second year of renting in Poconos. The price was right ($1600/ 2 week + $40 cleaning fee) on this 15-1503-15 Moshannone Drive in Arrowhead Lake community house owned by Vivienne LaBarbera and Sally Donahue. The house looked old on the pictures, but description was promising. The community offered a kid’s friendly pool and a playground within walking distance.

When the time came, and we got to the house, the house turned out to be old in every sense: carpeting needed replacement, bedding looked old and worn out, porch needed to be stained. Within the first 24 hours my 3 year old developed allergic/asthmatic reaction and kept on sneezing and coughing. I contacted a pediatrician and had the kid on medication for the first week. I had to clean and vacuum the place and take all the dusty (possible never washed) cover bedding out of the house. My 10 month’s old developed same symptoms on our second week. I was relieved my “horror” vacation was over after 2 weeks.

After returning home, I emailed Ms. LaBarbera several times in regards to my $300 deposit. After a month, she turned out with a very nasty email (and multiple pictures) accusing me of leaving the garbage outside so it was torn by passing animals (although I did not see an animal came by throughout entire 2 week stay), a kitchen faucet spraying, missing a ball from the foosball game, chalk writing on the wood of the porch (my daughter’s flowers!), and stated that she found fireworks left by us (we rented in the beginning of August and, note, that my kids are very small). In addition she claimed that the Refund check was mailed to us 2 days after we vacated the house and that she is putting the stop on the original check (that we never received or seen!) and sending us the new one subtracting $75 for “EXTRA” cleaning and $5 for the missing ball from foosball table. She also threatened us that she will withhold $30 check stop fee for the check we never received, but she actually did not do that sending us a $220, a leftover from our security deposit. She never presented me with any of the receipts although I asked her multiple times for copies of cleaning service invoices. Vivienne threaten me to charge me another $30 at the end if we will not cash the “replacement” $220 check.

I feel I was cheated on everything, my kids were sick entire stay due to the unclean condition and poor maintenance of the house, and at the end I was paying for all of it, literally. Although the community is good (and I have met many nice renters), I do not recommend this house or its owners. This is not the house where kids should be in. The owners turned out nasty and disrespectful people, who’s only apparent agenda, is to keep your money.

4. Re: Pocono Family Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 06:19