We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Holiday

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak Holiday

Hi everyone, I am planning a trip from UK to USA for 2 families (8 adults 1 child) and we are looking to travel great distances with Amtrak.

I would appreciate any feedback which routes would give us the best views/sights to see as well as the best places to get off and spend a night or two stopover. If possible your hotel/motel recommendation would be much appreciated.

We will travel up to Portland OR and may have travelled to CA from Houston TX.

It is our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebration so really want to get this right!

We plan to travel end of July beginning of August 2010.

Much appreciate your help and suggestions / recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Likely To Sell Out
Niagara Falls Upstate New York 2-Day...
452 Reviews
from US$320.00*
Washington D.C. Monuments and...
1,124 Reviews
from US$169.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Philadelphia and Amish Country Tour...
410 Reviews
from US$169.00*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
333 Reviews
from US$150.00*
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Holiday

coming into Philadelphia in the fall right before 30th coming from Boston or right after 30th coming from DC the veiw of the City over the Scucyhill (think I spelled it wrong) is an amzing veiw. also in New Jersey when the train goes through the meadowlands I allways find beutiful, as well as the train going over Rt. 18 in New Brunswick. You might also get a better respons if you post it in the train travel fourm.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Rye, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Holiday

I too am planning an Amtrak trip in USA next year as part of our vacation. I bought a copy of "USA by Rail" by John Pitt. It gives all the routes available with Amtrak with lots of information of what you can see on the way. Well worth getting @ £13.99. Hope you have a great trip and glad that someone else from UK thinks this is a good way of travelling.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Holiday

If your travels take you through Pennsylvania, you will have the treat of going around the famous Horshoe Curve just west of Altoona.......If you're forward on the train, you can see the rear of the train coming around the curve! (or vice, versa)

Mentioned in this post
Altoona
Altoona
Pennsylvania
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak Holiday

I find the northern route to be more scenic. You don't say where you are starting, but assuming it is NYC...

I suggest taking the Broadway Limited to Chicago (you will hit the Horseshoe Curve), then The Empire Builder to either Seattle or Portland (spectacular scenery over the Continental Divide), then take the Coast Starlight down to LA (sit in the dome car at night). These are all historic routes with interesting scenery. I didn't care for the Southwest Chief's route (LA/Chicago).

Now, all that being said, there is a a review of a really poor experience on AMTRAK in the train travel forum. You should take a look. I have not heard of anyone else having the problem mentioned. Could have been a malfunctioning car, and it is unfortunately extremely uncommon to have malfunctions fixed or equiment replaced enroute.

Can't help you with places to stay enroute, as I have always traveled through, though Chicago, Seattle or Portland, and LA are obvious stopovers.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Portland
Portland
Pennsylvania
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
5. Re: Amtrak Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 05:16