We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go after Washington DC?

Cork
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go after Washington DC?

We are thinking of travelling to Washington DC at end of March for a week and then drive to Philly for a few days - we have 3 kids, 12, 9 & 5 years - should we stay in Philadelphia or can anyone recommend any other part of Pennsylvania which would be of interest to both parents and kids. Thanks,

Rye, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go after Washington DC?

Two years ago, we did this trip the other way round,Philadelphia first then Washington DC. We stopped in Bird in Hand in Lancaster County. We had a great time and there is so much to do and see. We learnt a great deal about the Amish way of life and there are so many villages each with a different characteristic. There is lots to do for families and I'm sure the children will love it. You may want to look on the Lancaster County website where you will find a lot of information on where to stay and what to do.Have a great trip!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go after Washington DC?

There is so much to see in Philadelphia, and three days is about the right amount of time. I think your best bet would be to stay in Philadelphia, and at that, in the downtown area.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
191 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go after Washington DC?

If you were never in Gettysburg that would be a great place to visit, start at the Visitors Center. Lancaster is a good suggestion, lots of quiant shopping on Rt. 30 and on Rt. 340 or Rt. 230 (my husband can't remember which is the route #). Google Kitchen Kettle in Intercourse (between Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse there is a one room Amish schoolhouse - DO NOT visit - it's stupid). Outside of Philadelphia is Valley Forge and near there is the King of Prussia mall - big mall. I do not think Hershey Park is open in March, but Hershey, PA has a lot to offer for a day trip.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go after Washington DC?

Even though I'm from Central PA, I'm going to agree with owlwyn that 3 days is a good amount of time to spend in Philly, and you shouldn't try to squeeze in too much by traveling all over PA. Philadelphia has plenty to enjoy for all ages. If you aren't sure where to start with the kids, I remember Family Fun had a great 3 day itinerary for Philly - it should still be available on their website.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
191 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go after Washington DC?

Yes I agree, if you are only going to be in Phila for 2 - 4 days you will have more than enough to keep you occupied. So much to see in that city. Enjoy your vacation.

6. Re: Where to go after Washington DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 05:16