We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lancaster , Gettysburg, antiques, driving routes

Texhoma, Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Topic
Lancaster , Gettysburg, antiques, driving routes

Hello, my wife and I will be traveling to the Lancaster area on Saturday and staying in Ephrata on Saturday and Sunday night.

We will be traveling from Maryland and plan on taking a route mentioned on this forum starting just west of the Susquehanna River at RT 74 and RT 372 going east over the Norman Wood bridge, through Buck and then heading to Ephrata from Georgetown (Bart ?).(896).

Heading to Gettysburg on Sunday morning. We plan on taking the 10am shuttle to the Eisenhower farm (allowing 2 hours). Then returning and having some lunch there at the visitors center and taking in the Cyclorama, Film and Museum. Then hiring a guide to ride in our car to tour the battlefield.

Will this work? or is it better to take in the Cyclorama, Film and Museum first?

Being a Sunday, does the traffic go down later in the afternoon?

xxrrttyy I saw where you knew the contact information of some guides, I was wondering if you could send those names to me? Thank you.

Places to eat on Sunday night as we head back to Ephrata? Scenic route from Gettysburg back to Ephrata?

We plan to take in the country side around Lancaster on Monday (may be a buggy ride (Abe's seems to be the one to use) What about AAA buggy rides?

I know the padutchcountry.com website has 5 covered bridge tours. Is there one that is better than the others?

Any off the beaten path antique places you would recommend?

We are then heading to Rock Hall, MD via 896, down into Delaware and taking Delaware state highway 9 south from New Castle til we cut over on Delaware highway 6 into Maryland and highway 291.

Any places to look out for on this route? Better scenic route to take?

Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lancaster , Gettysburg, antiques, driving routes

As the person who reccomended the Route 372 route on another thread, be aware that this route is very non-touristy without even Craftshops.

Even most of the farmstands will not be open this early in the season.

If thats what you want, fine. You will see many Amish farms,and should see a fair amount of buggys, as well as farmers in the fields. In addition the Amish/Mennonite spots I mentioned(the farm supply store west of Buck, Goods in Quarryville, and Fishers in Bart )should all be open Saturday.

I believe its probably too early for Goods seasonal Farmers Market.

For your trip north to Ephrata, I might suggest Route 772 North from Intercourse. It is mostly through Amish and Mennonite Farmland and there are a number of Amish, craft and furniture stores on the route. Take 222 north to Ephrata when you reach it.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lancaster , Gettysburg, antiques, driving routes

By the way, you can get to Intercourse by one of two ways from Georgetown. 1.continue on 896 through Strasburg until 896 terminates at the Junction of 340 take 340 east to Intercourse and the junction of 772. This route will be full of tourist attactions(motels restaunts, shops) from Strasburg on.

2. Take 372 east from Georgetown to Christiana, turning north on 41 to Gap. At Gap take 30 west a short distance to 772 and take that to Intercourse. This route is non-touristy, except around Gap and Intercourse. Amish farms along 372 and 772, less so on 41.

Edited: 27 April 2010, 12:29
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lancaster , Gettysburg, antiques, driving routes

Gettysburg back to Ephrata: You may just want to go ahead and take Rt 30. It has a neat history as the Lincoln Highway. New Oxford and Abbottstown are both quite pretty. Once you reach York, the 30 bypass is rather ugly and congested--a perfect example of how a bypass created to alleviate traffic ended up creating more. You could take the original Lincoln Highway, Rt 462, through the city, but I generally don't. Anyway, Sunday night traffic shouldn't be that bad.

But I do advise taking Rt 462 once you reach the east side of the city. It's a neat old road that will take you all the way up to the Susquehanna. You can even take the old bridge across the river. The stories of the towns of Columbia and Wrightsville are fascinating, both during the Civil War and earlier.

Not sure of where to eat...The Altland House in Abbottstown gets good reviews. Lots of chains along Rt 30 in York...maybe someone else would have good ideas.

Regarding the 372 route--there is a nice grocery store in the shopping center on the east side of the river. They have some regional treats (like whoopie pies) in their bakery...and I'm always amused to see a grocery store with a buggy hitch out front!

Texhoma, Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lancaster , Gettysburg, antiques, driving routes

Thank you brookquarry and aster143. I appreciate the tips very much. We want a couple of drives in the countryside and are looking forward to our trip in a couple of weeks.

5. Re: Lancaster , Gettysburg, antiques, driving routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2010, 05:15