We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend mid-way between Dayton, OH and Boston?

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Long weekend mid-way between Dayton, OH and Boston?

We live in Dayton; our daughter is in Boston. We'd like to find somewhere midway (by car) to meet up for a long weekend. The ideal spot would be scenic, with hiking, cabin/condo rentals (all amenities - we're not into roughing it), and a variety of good restaurants within reasonable driving distance. Looking at the map, "mid-way" appears to be around Williamsport, Lockhaven, and Sunbury - give or take. Any help would be much appreciated.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend mid-way between Dayton, OH and Boston?

Eagles Mere would be a possiblity. It is about 35 miles north east of Williamsport. It's been quite a few years since I visited; however, I do remember it being very scenic and serene. I never stayed overnight so I can't recommend any particular lodging. You are near 2 state parks - Ricketts Glenn and Worlds End.

http://www.eaglesmere.org/

…state.pa.us/stateparks/…rickettsglen.aspx

…state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/worldsend.aspx

Another possibility would be Wellsboro, PA. Although I have only passed through Wellsboro, I have heard it is a very quaint town to visit. You would be near the PA Grand Canyon as well for hiking opportunities.

http://www.wellsboropa.com/

wellsboropa.com/pages/…pa_grand_canyon.php

…state.pa.us/stateparks/…leonardharrison.aspx

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend mid-way between Dayton, OH and Boston?

Check out Jim Thorpe, PA

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend mid-way between Dayton, OH and Boston?

Check the northern routes also:

Rochester, NY

Olean, NY

If the parents want to travel a little more than the daughter you could check out the beautiful finger lakes region, cooperstown, or if the daughter wants to drive a little longer than mom and dad check out Niagara Falls

Good luck

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend mid-way between Dayton, OH and Boston?

Sorry for the delayed response... Thanks so much for your suggestions - I feel sure that we'll find something in all of this that will work for us. (By the way - we did the Finger Lakes a couple of years ago when our daughter lived in NH. Spent two days touring wineries and tasting. Enjoyed the beautiful scenery and great food, too. Great suggestion!)

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long weekend mid-way between Dayton, OH and Boston?

If dau wants to drive a little longer but not quite as long as to Niagara, there is Letchworth State Park (gorge of the Genessee River) , and there is also a historic village set up outside of Rochester in Monroe Co. The gorge is very beautiful, esp in autumn.

6. Re: Long weekend mid-way between Dayton, OH and Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 05:17