We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best Amish experience close to DC

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
best Amish experience close to DC

Hello, I am interested in visiting Amish country but I have never been so I'm not quite sure where to start.

Lancaster is less than three hours from DC and that's about as far as we want to drive on a day trip since we're not staying overnight. Is this the best place to go, and can you give me some recommendations for good Amish thing to do?

Thanks!

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best Amish experience close to DC

Without knowing your specific interest it is hard to rccomend.

If I were you I would start by checking the Pa Dutch Visitor Bureau site

www.padutchcountry.com and see what appeals to you.

Some ideas, all focusing on the Plain people.

The Mennonite information center will provide a Mennonite guide who will ride in your car and provide a guided tour. This could give you insight into the Mennonites and Amish beliefs and way of life.

There are a couple Amish home tours(The Amish Home and Amish Village) Have not been in years so cannot reccomend one over the other. Just be aware that in neither case will you interact with real Amish.

This time of year the best place to interact with Amish would be at a mudsale, These are held Saturday mornings at various fire companys as fund raiers. There is a schedule on the Pa Dutch visitor Bureau website.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best Amish experience close to DC

Thanks very much. I love the idea of having a guide in the car with us, will definitely have to check that out!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best Amish experience close to DC

I don't know what an " good Amish Experience " is. Remember these are just people who want to live their lives without being put on display. Any Amish Home or Village open to outsiders is just not authentic.

You can interact with Amish business people such as Furniture makers, Quilt makers, Cabinet makers, etc. Last week I went with my son to get quotes from an Amish kitchen cabinet maker in the Oxford, Pa area. There were beautiful Amish farms all around. Nearby you could visit Longwood Gardens and The Brandywine River Museum.

4. Re: best Amish experience close to DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 17:18