We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating From NY

Soon To Be Wake...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Relocating From NY

I am looking to relocate from Staten Island and I am told I would miss out if I don't look into PA.

If I remain in the Northeast, I would probably like to work in NYC still as the $$$ is very good.

What cities/counties should I look at? What is my best case scenerio on a commute into the city from these areas?

Thank-You in advance for your help and I apologize, as this is really a travel forum.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating From NY

Not sure of the length of these commutes, but I do know there is an influx of NYC commuters into areas along the border such as Pike County (west of Port Jervis, NY on I84. A town to look at there might be Milford, PA. Also East Stroudsburg, PA, which is just west of the Jersey line on I80. Finally, the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area which lies along I78. It is often referred to as the Lehigh Valley of PA. I think most of these would be about an hour and a half from the city.

Philadelphia, PA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating From NY

If you are looking for a small town atmosphere, both E. Stroudsburg or Stroudsburg (two different towns in Monroe County) or Milford (in Pike County) would be ideal. I would imagine it would be easier to get into NYC from Milford though. I went to college in E. Stroudsburg and have friends that live in Milford. Still love visiting those areas even though I graduated 25 years ago!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating From NY

You're talking at least a 90 minute commute.

Personally, having done a 75 minute commute for 2 years, I would never do it again. It really wears you out.

You'll be commuting by bus if you move to western PA near I-80 or I-78.

NJ Transit train service stops at Trenton, NJ. Then you'll need to transfer to Septa to get to PA.

Unless you like having to spend 3hours a day commuting, I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh, and traffic on the NJ Turnpike is a monster.

Soon To Be Wake...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating From NY

broadwaynyc...I understand your point. I grew up in Port Jefferson and commuted 2.2 hours each way for about 3 years... time spent is like a part time job!

Thank you everyone for your input!

My family and I are researching various areas to move. We are currently in Staten Island and to say the least, it is not where I want to raise a family.

We are trying to find someplace close for our families, but I think we may be making hte jump to NC. Thank you again everyone!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating From NY

If you looked at eastern Bucks County, you could be a close drive to either the Trenton or Hamilton Station NJ Transit train stations in New Jersey. ie, instead of having to pick up a Septa commuter train in Trenton, you could drive to complete the commute back home. Example: I live in Warrington, PA which is in western Bucks and it only takes about 30 minutes to drive to the Trenton station (in non-heavy rush hour). If you took a NJ Transit express train, you can be in NYC in 1 hour from Trenton. Regular Amtrak service would be about the same time, but more $$$.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating From NY

It is still a 90 minute commute at best and that is just to Penn Station. If you factor in the subway from Penn Station to the office, another 15 minutes.

To be around family, I would suggest giving up the idea of working in Manhattan. There are big companies in NJ and in the Philadelphia area.

Sellersville...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocating From NY

Many people in Yardley, PA work in Manhattan. Depending on where you lived, you could get to the Trenton train station very quickly (takes me less than 10 minutes) and from there you can get a NJ Transit train to NYC; the trip is about an hour and fifteen minutes (may be less if you get an express train). I wouldn't do it myself, though I used to commute from northern Westchester county to NYC and it's probably not much longer than that. I relocated here after growing up in Westchester and love it - great place to raise a family, good schools, etc. It's also very convenient to Philadelphia and Princeton, NJ.