We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A place to stay

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
96 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
A place to stay

We are starting our tour in Niagara Falls and driving to Huntington in Kentucky but taking in Pennsylvania on the way. Our route will roughly be Olean, Falls Creek, Johnstown, morgantown then on to Kentucky. We want to stay somewhere for 2 nights somewhere between Falls Creek and Morgantown. It does not have to be a hotel. We are looking for something outside big towns, something homely. Are there any Amish communities on the route? open to all suggestions and ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Johnstown
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
Morgantown
Morgantown
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A place to stay

Hi!

I am not very familiar with Falls Creek area but I did look at in on a map and saw its right near Interstate 80. If you want to venture East awhile off of Interstate 80 is a town called Lewisburg not too far from where I live. Lewisburg is a small town not near a city and lots of Amish! There is a wonderful hotel complex in that town. If this is too far out of the way, there is always Lancaster,Pa home to amish communities.

Mentioned in this post
Lewisburg
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A place to stay

Allow me to suggest a short jog east in your trip to Belleville, PA, located in the heart of the Kishacoquillas Valley. This is a long valley of farm country--many of them Amish and Mennonites. There are a couple of varieties of Amish in the valley. A Bed and Breakfast named Twin Oaks is the place to stay. Run by an elderly Mennonite couple named Glick, the house has 5 rooms; 2 with private baths. Mrs. Glick is a retired school teacher, and their home is beautiful. She can give you the history of the Mennonites and Amish of the valley. She can also direct you to Amish stores and quilt shops. She puts out a fine breakfast in the morning. Phone number is 717-935-2026. The valley does not have nearly as many tourists as Lancaster, Pennsylvania, but the mountains are beautiful, and plenty of nice farm land to view. I believe it is a bit over an hour from Johnstown.

Mentioned in this post
Belleville
Belleville
Ontario, Canada
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Johnstown
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
cleveland
Level Contributor
18 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A place to stay

We did something similar to that. We stayed at Niagara falls, then drove to Lake chataguagua and onto Cooksberg P.A. WE stayed at the Gateway Lodge. That was back in 10-2004. It was very nice and beautiful drive. It is not to far from I 80.

Mentioned in this post
Gateway Lodge
Gateway Lodge
525 Reviews
Cooksburg, PA
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
96 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A place to stay

Many thanks to all who have replied to my posting. I will have a look at all your suggestions and if you don't mind will most likely come back with questions. many thanks