We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
288 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

We will be driving from Philly to Pittsburgh via the Pa Turnpike. We're interested in hearing recommendations for stopping points along the way. Thanks!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

What are your interests for stopping points - historical, hiking, shopping, etc. Also, how long are you planning on stopping - a few hours or overnight? This will help point you in the right direction.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
288 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

FlyEagle, thanks for your response and questions. We are flexible, a bit, re how long we stop, but I am thinking overnight... Maybe 1 or 2 nights along the way, depending on what we see and do... Our interests are historical, cultural, etc. Not shopping. Hiking if it is someplace special. (We hiked in Sedona, etc., but would not just plan a hiking trip.) National Parks are nice, too. I can map the whole route out and see what's what but thought that TripAdvisor travelers would have some good input to give me a start. Thanks!

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

Here's an idea since it seems like you are not in a hurry. Take the road less traveled - US route 30 and if you see something that intigues you, stop and take it in. You'll find an interesting variety of things along the way. We have done this on both US 30 and US 40 on trips from Maryland, to Indiana, taking in the PA section of route 30 from Lancaster to to Pittsburgh. It can be fun.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
288 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

Nice idea! Thank you!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

If you are going to take US route 30, I would definitely recommend a visit to Gettysburg since you are interested in historical sites. For more specific information on Gettysburg, check out the many postings in that forum.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
288 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

FlyEagle...we may do Gettysburg this trip...we may not...depending on what else is out there, since Gettuysburg is relatively cloise to home...BUT it is definately right up our alley, and we have not been since the new visitors' centor opened. I certainly will look for your posts, whether we do Gettysburg this trip or another time. Thanks so much for your response!

WV
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

Closer to Pittsburgh are the Laurel Highlands with lots of interesting things to do. The Frank Lloyd Wright houses Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob are there as well. Try the laurelhighlands.org website for more information-

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
288 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

Thank you, mgcme! Will look into your ideas. Always have wanted to see Fallingwater. I will look into the other FLW house as well as Laurel Highlands, too! THANKS!

9. Re: Driving from Philly to Pittsburgh on Pa Turnpike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 14:16