We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

los angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

hi there

planning a trip over thanksgiving weekend. leaving from dc area friday morning and returning sunday afternoon/early evening. wondering what we can squeeze in. most interested in seeing fallingwater, amish country and gettysburg. is that too ambitious?? if so, please suggest alternative sites. thanks in advance!!

Washington DC Day Trip from New York
1,111 reviews
from US$169.00*
Likely To Sell Out
2-Day Niagara Falls Tour from New...
447 reviews
from US$320.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Philadelphia and Amish Country Day...
403 reviews
from US$169.00*
Philadelphia Hop-On Hop-Off City Tour
240 reviews
from US$32.00*
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

Well...it depends. You could go straight out to Fallingwater on Friday. I'd spend the night there, as it's quite a drive. Early Saturday morning, come over to Gettysburg and spend the day.

You could go over to Lancaster either Saturday night (tiring!) or Sunday morning. But I avoid traveling Rt 30 on Thanksgiving weekend, as traffic can be awful.

What parts of Amish country are you interested in? Are you more interested in Gettysburg, or Amish country?

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

It's a lot of driving. Fallingwater is the most "out of the way" while Gettysburg and Lancaster are both in the south central part of the state (but still an hr. apart), Fallingwater is located over 3 hrs. west of Gettysburg (over 4 hrs. west of Lancaster). If you do choose to do it all, I would probably go in the opposite order from what Aster mentioned above. Only for the reason that most Amish/Mennonite businesses will be closed on Sundays.

If you do decide to go to Fallingwater, buy tickets ahead of time.

www.fallingwater.org/82/tours-and-tickets

los angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

After doing the research, I realized that it probably makes more sense to do Gettysburg and Amish Country. However, we're more interested in Fallingwater and Amish Country. I understand that there's a smaller Amish community north of Fallingwater. Anyone have any details?? Thanks in advance!!

WV
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

Another suggestion! First thing Friday morning go to Amish country. Friday evening or first thing Saturday morning go to Gettysburg. After Gettysburg Saturday, go to Fallingwater and tour later Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. Then back to DC Sunday afternoon. It sounds like a lot of driving but it's broken up, and an easy and pretty drive. No details about the Amish community north of Fallingwater, but the laurelhighlands.org website has lots of good information about that area :)

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

If you go Friday, Lancaster's excellant Central Farmers Market will be open.

My sense of the smaller Amish communitys in Western Pa (many of which are growing rapidly as Amish from Lancaster county move in search of cheaper famland) is that there really is not much tourist infrastructure yet- so you may be limited to going to farm stands, rather than stores or shops.

Also,remember that no Amish owned businesses will ever be open on Sunday.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

OK, a couple of things. And I am really not trying to discourage you although it will sound like it. I just want you to be prepared. I totally respect and appreciate your desire to see these areas while on a holiday trip to the East Coast. BUT....

Black Friday is a mad house in Eastern Lancaster Co. Not only are there Amish in Lancaster, but there are also a lot of shopping centers in the adjoining areas that host major sales that start at midnight afterThanksgiving day. Be prepared for heavy traffic because of that in addition to all the visitors that will be there for the holiday weekend. There is also now a big outlet mall in Gettysburg, but since I don't live there I can't comment on what it is like on the shopping weekend.

Fallingwater is beautiful, interesting and located in one of my favorite areas of my home state. Despite that, I wouldn't drive 4 hrs. to take the tour and get back into my car and come home. Granted, that's me, and I can go to the Laurel Highlands for a weekend almost any time I really want to. But I am not sure you realize how remote Fallingwater is. I'm not sure that you realize that the roads are in the mountains and narrow and that freezing rain or even snow are a genuine possibility that time of year. Again, it's not that I'm trying to discourage you. I just want to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Being a holiday weekend, traffic and major tourist sites will all be busier than usual. Only you know how much you are willing to put up with and how much effort you are willing to put in for a fairly brief look into some very interesting places.

7. Re: 2-1/2 days in pennsylvania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 10:18