We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

My husband and I will be flying from Sydney to Savannah in May. I'm planning a road trip to the New England and would like to experience some picturesque small towns enroute. So far my plan is to drive from Washington DC to Cape May NJ and I'd love to stop overnight in Pennsylvania. I'm looking for places that have charm, good food, places to stay with character, galleries would be a bonus. The drive to Jim Thorpe appeals and the Brandywine Valley. I would appreciate your comments.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

Pennsylvania, especially Jim Thorpe, is out of your way. Jim Thorpe is a cute town, but not worth going that far off your path. The Brandywine Valley area is pretty, and not as far out of your way.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

I like Jim Thorpe, and depending on your route it might not be too far out of your way(It is not too far from the NE extension of the Pa Turnpike).

The Brandywine Valley, however, has much more to offer. Jim Thorpe is a nicely restored town with some interesting architecture and an attractive Mountain setting. By comparison Longwood Gardens, in the Brandywine Valley is one of the Premier Gardens in North America, Winterthur has the best collectionof American Furniture in the WORLD. The Brandywine River Museum has the art of the Wyeths, arguably the leading American artistic family of the 20th Century.

If you can only do one,I would definately pick the Brandywine Valley

Edited: 06 January 2012, 11:58
Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

We have plenty of time, don't want to rush and would rather experience small towns rather than large cities. We will spend time driving through Blue Ridge Parkway so will have some time in the mountains. I'd like to balance the trip with diversity. Brandywine Valley appeals and it will be Spring. We could drive across from Jim Thorpe to Connecticut or are there other parts of Pennsylvania you would suggest? We don't mind going out of our way if it's worthwhile.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 21:54
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

In Pennsylvania, the aforementioned Brandywine Valley attractions are totally worthwhile. You can also head up to Bucks County, and visit Doylestown, with its truly unique Mercer Museum and Fonthill. A short hop from there is New Hope, and a beautiful drive along River Road. You can take that north up tp Bethlehem, and pick up highways that will take you to Jim Thorpe.

Wind Gap...
Level Contributor
13 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

Jim Thorpe is a great little town with a lot of character. New Hope is also very artsy and Lambertville, NJ is just a walk across the bridge. I live in the Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem, Allentown, Easton), so if you are traveling from Jim Thorpe to New Hope, a visit to Bethlehem would be great. Main St. in Bethlehem is full of history and neat shops. There is a lot of concerts and festivities in the Lehigh Valley, especially in the summer.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

Jim Thorpe adds about 4 hours of driving to the trip. Might I suggest Amish country in Lancaster County. Visit towns in this area - Strasburg, BIrd In Hand, New Holland, Blue Ball. Here's a guide to Amish country in Lancaster County, PA.

padutchcountry.com/towns-and-heritage/index.…

padutchcountry.com/activities/amish-activiti…

It will be a much less out of the way drive.

Elmira, New York
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

I would recommend New Hope, PA as well.

Lewisburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

I live in Lewisburg Pennsylvania. I am a transplant to here about 8 years ago and it has a lot to see! The main street(Market St) is vibrant and the storefronts are all full with boutiques, restaurants pubs and a recently redone Art Deco era movie theater. Bucknell University gives us a big push culturally and we are surrounded by farmland and Amish and Mennonite farms(some of the banks have horse and buggy drive up lanes lol) The Wednesday Farmers Market on Fairground Rd is a hoot with locally produced and grown vegetables and meats.

The River runs through it! the West Branch of the Susquehanna, Williamsport is 25 miles away with a vibrant Jazz and cultural scene itself. We are about 80 miles North of Harrisburg on Rt 15 and a prettier part of the US you would be hard pressed to find. I love living here!(can you tell)

9. Re: Should we stay at Jim Thorpe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2013, 10:16