We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

Hi, i'm currently living in Toronto and looking at getting out for a few days and seeing some scenery. I don't have a clue of whats in and around Pennsylvania but just looking on Google maps it is close to the border and seems as though the Northern part is quite populated with National Parks.

So, I have 2 full days (friday and saturday) and not looking at doing anything crazy, just get out and see some nice american countryside and stay overnight in a nice scenic town. Any suggestions?

I would like to keep the drive under 5 hours from T.O.

Even suggestions in NY State? im not bothered, what ever is nice and not too concrete :)

Thank you!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

Hello -

Well, you are correct - there is a lot of forests between Toronto and the next biggest town in Pennsylvania - that being Pittsburgh. It would take you a good 5 hours to drive the super highways across Niagara Falls, and down along Lake Erie to South on 79 to get to Pittsburgh - where there is so much to see and do! Great restaurants, great vistas, and very good hotels.

Or probably a couple of hours longer to drive through the Allegheny Mountains towards Pittsburgh. Of course - that means you aren't going to have time to stop and enjoy the mountains. There is over a half a million acres of play area, if you like boating, camping, hiking, swimming, and fishing. See more information at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/allegheny/home

Much depends on when you want to go and what you like to do. Good luck. Exploring is always fun; just don't expect the same services as metro-Toronto!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

Check out the Trip Planner on part of the official PA website

www.visitpa.com

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

Take a drive alon scenic US 6 in PA. Here's a website with county by county information.

www.paroute6.com/static/index.cfm…

Come south through Buffalo to US 219S. Do a loop by heading west toward Erie or east to as far as you want to go. A good place would be to US15 at Mansfield, then head north on US15 and home to Totonto by any number of routes.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

In about 3.5 hrs., you could travel to the scenic Finger Lakes region of NY state.

In about 4.5 hrs., you could go to the Allegheny National Forest area. I like the little town of St. Marys, personally. I was there for a wedding, and the brewery tour at Straub was a highlight, and breakfasts at DD's Bakery and Cafe were fantastic.

A 5 hr. trip would take you to Wellsboro, PA. A very picturesque little town situated near "The Grand Canyon of PA" which is really a gorge, but contains lovely hiking and vistas.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

Hey guys thanks for all the info!! I am an experienced traveller from Australia, but this trip in particular will be with the missus so no tents but most probably staying in B&Bs.

So my idea after further research would be something along the lines of:

Friday: TO -> Warren (via 62 or 219, PA)

Saturday: Warren -> Wellsboro (via r6)

Sunday: Wellsboro -> Niagara Falls/CA (via r15)

we already have accommodation booked for sunday night in NF

Any other suggestions? Are there other towns you would suggest I stay in? Perhaps more quaint local etc...

I guess along my drive i'd just like to get out and see some mountains, gorges, lakes, rivers, wildlife

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

That looks like a good route to me.

7. Re: Short road trip to see countryside. Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2013, 09:18