We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast USA

Zuid Holland
Level Contributor
111 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast USA

Hello

I am trying to plan a week trip around the Washington DC area.

Would love some feedback on my first attempt at a schedule

Sun

AM drive from Newark NJ to Lancaster PA,

visit then drive on to Gettysburg

stay Gettysburg

Mon

AM Gettysburg

PM Drive to Baltimore, visit Orioles (special stop for my son)

EVE drive to Annapolis

stay Annapolis

Tues

AM Annapolis

stay Annapolis

Wed

Drive on to peninsula

Visit Delaware, beaches etc

Cambridge

Ocean City

Chestertown

Brandywine

Tangier Island

Chesapeake Island etc

stay Annapolis

Thurs

AM drive to Richmond

visit Richmond and Willamsburg

Stay Richmond

Fri

AM drive to washington

Visit Wasington

stay washington

Sat visit Washington

These driving distances are all fine for us.

Any comments on the itinerary or suggestions to improve it greatly received

Thanks

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast USA

Annapolis then drive to all those areas on the Delmarva peninsula, then back to Annapolis? I would stay at your southern most stop, West Ocean city perhaps, then head to Richmond from there. Overall it's a lot of driving and ground to cover. Many things you'll only see in passing out the car window. Maybe Yorktown and Williamsburg and skip Richmond?

Are you departing from a Washington Airport?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast USA

In my opinion, you need a lot more time in Washington. You can spend a week there and still not see everything. Most of the sites are free.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast USA

First, what time of year will you be here? In the summer months some of the places can be packed, and it will take longer to get anywhere. You may have to factor in crowds, or not.

Second, how old is your son? When you say "visit Lancaster", what were you wishing to see? A young child might enjoy a ride on the Strasbourg Railroad for instance. Maybe an older son wants to shop the outlets?

When you visit each town, are there specific places? Like the Baltimore Aquarium? Or simply wandering around the town center?

I know people here can give you really good information.

Plan well, and have a nice trip!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast USA

Bottom line is you are trying to pack in WAY too much for a one week trip. People go to D.C. and fill a week just there. Side trips to Gettysburg and Annapolis? Sure. A day touring the Eastern Shore? Maybe - Summer could mean hours in traffic crossing the bridge and heading to beach towns. As pp stated, you won't actually see much of anything on this trip.

Zuid Holland
Level Contributor
111 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast USA

We will be travelling in August.

We don't plan t stop at all the towns on the Eastern Shore it was just a list of possibles I had read about. We would probably pick one or two. Or skip them altogether.

I don't think we need a whole week in Washington, my children can only do so much history and museums. We just need to cover the basics - White house, some but not all of the National Monuments etc. Unless you have other great suggestions?

Visit Lancaster - so the children can see how different societies live. In this day of modern technology, its easier for them to understand with a visual. Interesting to me too.

We don't need to visit aquariums, theme parks, outlets etc - we can do all that stuff here. We like to just walk around different towns, sampling local food, admiring architecture and the major sights, have a walk or play in a park.

Thanks

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast USA

I realize you are trying to see as much as possible while visiting the U.S. However, I would still consider skipping Williamsburg/Richmond as well as the Branywine Valley and Delaware/beach areas. For a feel of Colonial American history, visit George Washington's home, Mount Vernon, in Alexandria. Much closer and they have great programs on colonial farming, the Revolutionary War, and slavery. We took our kids and did one of their "Through My Eyes" tours and it was very much worth it. As good as any of the activities we did in Williamsburg. How old are your children?

I would add St. Michael's as a top prospect for an Eastern Shore visit, perhaps Rock Hall. I am quite familiar with the Eastern Shore of MD, including Chestertown. And while I love it there for my own sentimental reasons, would not consider it a must see for first time visitors to the area.

You have a lot of time dedicated to Annapolis, which I truly think could be enjoyed in half a day, unless you want to take a sailing charter - a beautiful way to truly see the bay.

The amount of time you have dedicated to Lancaster and Gettysburg are reasonable. Just make sure you have a plan. I suggest something like "The Amish Village" to actually get an idea of the lifestyle in a short visit.

I believe you are spending time elsewhere in the states as part of a longer journey. Perhaps if you shared those general plans, we could help you out a little better.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Coast USA

I agree- skip Williamsburg or spending so much time in Annapolis. I like thefourskis idea of seeing Mt. Vernon and St. Michael's. Not that far from Lancaster is the town of Hershey. That is always fun for kids...they have a free exhibit area with candy and we always have loved their gardens and butterfly house, although not sure if August is best for the butterflies.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Coast USA

You know what, I just realized that you plan to come to Lancaster on a Sunday. That will absolutely not work. Nothing associated with the Plain sects will be open on a Sunday. You may want to alter your days or consider reversing your route if seeing the Amish is a "must do" for you.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Coast USA

Agreed, You will see lots of buggys going to and from church but thats it.

Also, the tour I would reccomend ,from the Mennonite Information Center does not run Sundays (A Mennonite guide rides in your car directing you to Amish busineses and farms-usually about 3 stops- They try to customize it to your interests to the extent possible).

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East Coast USA

Just a word about traffic, since you'll be doing so much driving:

D.C. traffic is the worst you will encounter anywhere in the US. Your drive from Richmond could be particularly unpleasant if you don't do it early or the previous evening.

Likewise, traffic in and anywhere near the beach resorts will be at it's peak in August, perhaps not worth it for "drive by" visits. If you want to be back in Annapolis by day's end, I'd stick with some of the towns on the Chesapeake bay, such as those mentioned, and maybe Easton and Oxford instead of driving further to Cambridge.

Also, if Sunday morning is the only time you can visit Lancaster, I'd suggest taking Rt. 340 instead of the main roads. You'll see plenty of Amish farms along this route. Yes, the businesses will be closed, but it's actually the best time to see buggies on the road, and if you are attentive, you may even spot one of the host homes with dozens of buggies parked on the property.

By all means, detour onto some back roads and you will also see some one room schools with "his & her" outhouses.