We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Town, RV Park for Lancaster Co, Hersey, & Gettysburg

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Central Town, RV Park for Lancaster Co, Hersey, & Gettysburg

Will be driving large motorhome with towed car from Wash DC area to Niagara Falls. We would like to see a little of Gettysburg, Lancaster Co, and Hersey, but not theme park. Could we stay in one central area and see all three? Would one day be enough? We would be driving in from Wash DC and wonder if that day and the next would be enough to get a good taste of these areas? Two 60+ and no kids.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Town, RV Park for Lancaster Co, Hersey, & Gettysburg

Hm. Maybe Gifford Pinchot State Park?

…state.pa.us/stateparks/…index.htm

Or Codorus?

…state.pa.us/stateparks/…index.htm

There is also a campground at Hershey

http://www.hersheycamping.com/

Maybe...leave DC early and get to Gettysburg. It's an easy drive and very direct. I'm pretty sure there is ample room for RV parking at the Visitors Center, and you can take the bus to get elsewhere. Tour Gettysburg all day, then drive to the campground of your choice. Leave the RV there the next day to drive over to Lancaster and Hershey, return to spend another night, and then continue up to Niagara Falls.

This would especially work well if you plan to take the US-15 route north.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Town, RV Park for Lancaster Co, Hersey, & Gettysburg

Thanks Aster, so you think 1+ day would be the way to go? Visitor center unhook and move on to next spot could work. Still looking for best route to NF but I think I-15 was one of the routes recomm.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Town, RV Park for Lancaster Co, Hersey, & Gettysburg

Not sure where around DC, but the traffic is horrible during the weekdays anywhere near the beltway.

You'll need two days, 4-5 hours in each town. The Visitors center and Battlefield, 90 minutes to Lancaster. Perhaps the Amish Farm tourist stop and a restaurant or shops in Intercourse. 40 minutes to Hershey for Chocolate World and then the Hershey Gardens or the Hershey Story museum in town and a bite to eat at Houlihan's.

From central PA, Route 15 is the best choice to Corning NY, also a cool place to stop.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 02:34
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Town, RV Park for Lancaster Co, Hersey, & Gettysburg

Sorry--I hadn't realized that you had posted earlier in February too! If you want to see Gettysburg, Hershey, and Lancaster, then US 15 would be the best way to go. The secret to avoiding DC weekday traffic is to get out early if at all possible. When we travel through the area, we always try to get out before 6 am and things go smoothly. (I know--6 am on vacation!--but it works.) Otherwise, waiting until 10 am would be acceptable.

What are your priorities? What do you really want to see in Lancaster? How much backtracking can you tolerate?

I guess the way with the least backtracking would be to stay at the Hershey Campground. Spend the whole day in Gettysburg, drive to Hershey, squeeze in Chocolate World (they're open late in summer) if you can. Next morning, breakfast in Hershey, drive around the town, head over to Lancaster and do what you like there. Next morning, do a little more in Hershey before heading to 322 to pick up 15 north of Harrisburg.

I think you'd get the flavor of the area. There would still be lots to see for a return visit!

5. Re: Central Town, RV Park for Lancaster Co, Hersey, & Gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 06:17