We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please

preston, england
Level Contributor
240 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
help please

We're coming back to New York from Toronto and the DW wants to visit the Amish either going or coming back.

My question is should I spend a night around Lancaster and then 3 around the Poconos mountains, (or Catskills for that matter) or spend 3 around Lancaster and 1 somewhere else?

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help please

You'll need to go out of your way to get to Lancaster County. What time of year will you visit? Depends on what your goals are for the area, Hershey is popular and close to Lancaster, Gettysburg is turning point of the Civil War Battle and the 150th Anniversary this year. I'm not a big fan of the Poconos, except for skiing and hiking. Again, depends on what you're going for.

preston, england
Level Contributor
240 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please

Its in the summer. And we are going to and from Toronto. So I wanted to stop for 1 day, somewhere, going out. And for 3 days coming back. I realise its a huge trip!

We like all sorts of stuff, arts, foods, shopping, hiking, bike riding, natural beauty, literally everything nice.

So from your reply I guess you'd stay in Lancaster for 3 rather than the Poconos or the Catskills?

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help please

There is really no need to go way down into PA to visit the Amish. There are lots of communities in western NY State, between Toronto and NYC. There are several websites that could be helpful, here is one example...

http://amishtrail.com/

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help please

Oompappy's suggestion is not a bad one as long as you understand the differences betwen the two areas.

Most of the Amish communities in upstate New York are reletively new, settled in recent decades(as the Amish population grows, doubling every 20 years new settlements are formed)

They are smaller than the Lancaster population and there is not as much tourist infrastructure- Motels ,'Dutch" restaurants, tours etc.

For some tourists this may be a good thing- less traffic ,less tourist glitz,. If what you wat to do is browse small farmstands and craftshops you may enjoy these communities.

It would also be much less of a detour

Edited: 25 April 2013, 12:21
preston, england
Level Contributor
240 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help please

Thanks for the replies. I may go to upstate NY but it still leaves me with 3 days to go somewhere else.

Any suggestions. Preferably within the 2 hours away from Newark airport.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help please

Well, Lancaster would be more than 2 hours from Newark Airport.

You might consider Bucks County North of Philly. Doylestown, New Hope and LambertvillE NJ (accross the Delaware River from New Hope Pa) are all charming towns.

7. Re: help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:18