We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to York, Pa

Haverhill...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to York, Pa

We'll be driving from New England to York this fall. Has anyone driven the I84 to Scranton rather than the usual NY/NJ route? Was it significantly longer or take more time?

Thanks in advance.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to York, Pa

I've done that once on a trip to Maine 7 years ago or so... Going to Maine from southern Ohio, we shot across I-70, I-76, I-78, to I-95. My ex-girlfriend planed the route and I was not wise enough to research the route she planned... That was the worst traffic I have ever seen!

On the way back to southern Ohio, we took I-84, I-81, I-76 and it was a much easier drive!

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to York, Pa

Just made that drive last weekend coming back from vacation in Maine. It avoids the traffic around NYC and on the coastal roads in Connecticut. Takes about 20 minutes longer, all things being equal, but if there's traffic around NYC it can take the same or less time. It's mostly four-lane highway, so I suppose there is some potential traffic risk (the other ways being a lot of 6 lane or larger segments). The road itself has some sections which need resurfaced, but nothing that was intolerable. I don't do the I-95 route thru NYC. I always do either the I-84 route or the I-287 / I-87 route over the Tappen Zee bridge.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 21:08
Haverhill...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to York, Pa

I should clarify.We usually take the I84/287/Tappan Zee route. We're thinking of the inland I84 route. I think we may try it.Thanks!

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to York, Pa

Yes, I was referring to the inland I-84 to I-81 route as well.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
361 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to York, Pa

I always use Interstate 84 West to Interstate 81 South to Interstate 83 to York, PA. It takes me about 4 and 1/2 hours from SW CT to Harrisburg. There may be lane closures due to construction and that can slow you down, but I definitely prefer this route and find traffic far less than either 95 route or 287 over the Tappan Zee Bridge. Just make sure you time your trip to get down to York before Harrisburg rush hour around 4pm.

6. Re: Driving to York, Pa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:19