We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

We'll be visiting these two colleges in early August and are looking for suggestions of a place to stay that offers suites, has a pool, and is in a nice area (in that order of priority). Suggestions? Also, any thoughts on things to do with younger teenage son during the college visits? We are not into amusement parks, prefer historical sights and natural areas.

Thanks!

PA
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

Very shortly, Bethlehem will host Musikfest from Aug.4-13. This event draws 100,000+ to this festival, so lodging will be at a preminum during this period. Hopefully your visit will not be effected by this event.

As for suggestions for lodging, a newer place to consider is Extended Stay Allentown/Bethlehem located at 3050 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem, 800-434-6835. They are suites complete with mini kitchens. Ask for a room that faces the back of the building, as this will be the quieter side for sleeping purposes. They do have a pool and are located in a convenient & safe area of town. This lodging is about 10-15 mins from Lehigh and approximately 20 mins from Lafayette. Mapquest is probably better at directing from this lodging to these colleges.

Incidentially, Lehigh University is located in an area that has some troubles (i.e. rundown housing, drugs and crime), but the city has spearheaded a revitalization plan and many of these issues are being addressed. Upscale condos & shopping courtyards are being developed. So hopefully this will be a breathe of fresh air to this location.

Lafayette is located in Easton in a very beautiful area.

Hope this information is helpful. Have a great time in Bethlehem!

West Chester...
Level Contributor
191 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

close to the Lehigh Valley Airport is the Residence Inn, and at the intersection of Rt. 22 and 512 is a Hampton Inn and Suites, this is in Bethlehem.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

Can highly recommend Lafayette College (graduated there in 1984!)...Also, the Staybridge Suites off of Airport Road in Allentown is a good place. Since both colleges are literally 15 mins apart from one another on Rt. 22, any place along 22 is legitimate.

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

As for natural areas, the first that comes to mind is Jacobsburg Environmental Resource Center. It's a hiking area with a creek that runs through. Easily accessable from Rt 33 north, from 22 (the exit for 33 is between Easton and Bethlehem). Take the Belfast exit of 33 north, and watch for signs or ask someone where the entrance to Jacobsburg is... it's only a fraction of a mile from the exit.

Reston VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

I would recommend the Residence Inn. Hotel has a pool, and full kitchen, but also a complimentary full breakfast each morning AND a managers reception in the evening. (Growing teenagers need lots of food, right?). The area is close to the airport; not a lot of ambiance to the neighborhood, but plenty of restaurants nearby.

You may want to request a room away from the highway, if you're sensitive to noise.

Reston VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

I just realized something while reading an earlier reply, suggesting Extended Stay. Please check to see if they have a room to accomodate 3 persons. I've stayed at their properties before in Virginia, and they did not have any rooms with 2 beds...

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

Thanks so much for your suggestions, which we will check out. Any biking paths in the area? Historical sights to visit?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

I can recommend Lafayette my little brother just graduated from there. Because of that I know the attractions. In Easton, there is the Crayola Crayon Factory and Fun Center which while juvenile is fun. There is also a PEZ museum. In addition historically there is canal that runs through easton and there is a historical site that concerns that. I'm not sure about that particular area but Pennsylvania has been converting alot of railbeds into trails for biking. There is one about 30 miles North of Easton and Bethlehem. It may reach down to that area as well.

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

There is a bike path that runs along the canal in Easton/Bethlehem.. There's also one just off the 33 exit in Stockertown, which runs to Pen Argyl. I've been on the later one several times... Level, scenic, nice path.

As for historical sites, I'd suggest the downtown Bethelhem area, with a visit to the Moravian bookstore. You could get more info there about walking tours.

Bethlehem, PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suite Hotel Near Lehigh/Lafayette

You are getting great hotel advice. As for biking, go to Freemansburg (just east of Bethlehem), walk bikes across foot bridge to canal towpath, and head east. If you go all the way to the Delaware at Easton, and back, you've gone almost 20 miles. Or cut it short wherever you feel comfortable. This ride is well off any roads; no noise, crowds or pollution. It parallels the Lehigh River the entire way. And it's scenic, shady, and flat.

Upon your return, chow down in Freemansburg at the Eagle Hotel (2nd floor with the kids, below is the bar). ..excellent Portuguese cuisine and very affordable. Or head back to Easton and sample the brews at Porter's Pub. Or a flatiron pizza at Pearly Baker's, right on the circle, near the Crayola Factory.

You will love both of these schools and towns. Spend some time shopping on Main Street in Bethlehem, as well as the rapidly revitalizing 3rd and 4th Street areas on the South Side. Go to the lookout on South Mountain, just above Lehigh's campus. Watch the Philadelphia Eagles train at Lehigh's South Mountain campus. Or not! Then spend a nice evening listening to live music at Godfrey Daniels on 4th Street.