We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gettysburg

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Gettysburg

Hi,

We are going on a road trip from Wisconsin east. We have changed our plans after asking advice from the forum. Our latest plan is to stay over night in Dayton, Ohio, the next day drive close to Gettysburg-stay over night-spend the next day at GB, we could stay over night in the same place or should we drive down and stay over night at Sharpsburg? The second day we would visit Sharpsburg and drive to Harpers Ferry. We could drive up to Frederick that night and stay over and head out the next day. Does that make sense? Do you have suggestions for hotels?

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gettysburg

I drive between the areas that you have mentioned quite frequently. There may be ways that minimize car driving, but I don't think you can really go wrong in whatever you choose. Lovely scenery and easy driving. (The only routes I really hate are I-70 between Hagerstown and Frederick and I-81 between Chambersburg and Hagerstown. But then, I am used to lonely rural roads.)

The trip between Sharpsburg and Gettysburg is very scenic and totally steeped in history, with a functional covered bridge along Jacks Mountain Rd.

If it were me, I'd probably spend the first night in Gettysburg and the second in Frederick. But I am swayed by the wonderful restaurant choices of Frederick. :) It has a nice downtown and is fun to walk around in.

How are you planning to come out from Dayton--I-76, or I-68?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gettysburg

I'd consider spending both nights in Frederick especially if you going to different places each day.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gettysburg

Good point-note-I at least convinced my husband that we are on vacation and to s-l-o-w down.

Thanks

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gettysburg

There are not many places to stay in Sharpsburg. If you want to park in one place you could stay around Hagerstown. It is about 1 hour to Gettysburg and less than 1/2 hour to Sharpsburg and about 1/2 hour from Sharpsburg to Harpers Ferry. Be aware that you MUST take a bus into Harpers Ferry from the visitors' center.

A suggestion on your route from Dayton to Hagerstown (or wherever you decide in the area). Take I79 south to I68 then head east to I70. It's not much longer than taking the PA Turnpike. We drive out to Indiada every year and this route even though it looks longer, is not. You also save big in that there are no tolls. If you want to continue on to Gettysburg via this route on your arrival day, just head north on I81 then east on US 30.

In the Hagerstown area there is a large concentration of places to stay along I81.

2 places I can recommend to eat in Hagerstown if you want to venture into town. Parking is easy in lots.

Schmankerl Strube - good German food

http://schmankerlstube.com/

El Paso Mexican Restaurant

It's on E Washington St. (route 40 east through town) not far from Schmankerl Strube.

You can find these by going on Google Maps, zooming into Hagerstown and entering restaurants into the search box.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gettysburg

thanks so much

6. Re: Gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16