We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

We are driving up from New Jersey either late July or early August and would like to spend approximately a week in Rhode Island. We have been there once, but just got to see Newport and really did enjoy it, but would like to see the rest of the state. Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. We like museums (I do), walking, both hubby and I do and are real tourists. Like to see whatever is out there. Thanks for any help.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

Just so I don't seems completely crazy, well that is to be discussed, didn't see the first post that I sent so sent a second one. Well better safe than sorry.

Hope to hear some great suggestions. Thank you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

Just so I don't seems completely crazy, well that is to be discussed, didn't see the first post that I sent so sent a second one. Well better safe than sorry.

Hope to hear.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

Jamestown, next to Newport has RI's most beautiful state parks; gorgeous hiking at Beavertail. Narragansett is a nice beach town to stroll around, or Bristol for more historic stuff. Providence is pretty easy to get in and out, geat for walking; RISD has a great new museum. Why not time it with Waterfire, it's a must "experience" in New England.

Edited: 28 June 2010, 01:32
New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

I am not familiar with waterfire, but did look it up and it seems very interesting. I will check the date when we are able to go and hope to be able to attend the ceremony at that time. We do hope to see quite a bit of the state when we go and if you think of anything else we should see, I would appreciate hearing about it. Thank you for your input.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

If you are here in early/mid-August, you could check out the Washington County Fair in Richmond. (www.washingtoncountyfair-ri.com). In Providence there is the RISD art museum, which is really nice. I like to walk around the East Side of Providence, on Thayer St. and the surrounding area. You might want to catch a play at Theatre By The Sea in the Matunuck area of South Kingstown. If you are into hiking and nature there are plenty of places to enjoy this all over the state. One of the ones I like is Trustom Pond reserve in South Kingstown. Do you have particular interests so we could direct you to anything more specific?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

I would like to go over to Block Island one day and the fair sounds great. I enjoy the museums wherever we go and also both my husband and I enjoy walking around and seeing the sights. Notice I don't include my husband when I say about enjoying the museums, but he does go. I wrote two posts as I am having trouble with my computer and didn't think the first went thru. One question I have, if possible I would like to stay at one hotel (only getting settled once) and wonder if the best city would be Providence and drive to all of the sights each day from there? Thank you.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

Because you are coming in August, one of the coastal areas would be much more enjoyable.

From Newport, for instance, you can easily day trip to Martha's Vineyard(fast ferry), Jamestown, Narragansett, Block Island, Tiverton, Providence (Waterfire)....or you can veg out in some cool, beachy area!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

If you are going to be seeing a lot of the sights in the Newport or South County (Narragansett/South Kingstown/Charlestown/Westerly and surrounding areas) areas, then I would recommend staying in one of those areas rather than Providence. It's still a quick drive to Providence and surrounding areas. However if you stay IN Providence and decide to come down South for the day, you are going to be fighting a lot of traffic...all people who have the same idea and are driving towards the coast. You will also be stuck in traffic going bck to Providence if you go back any time from 3-6 or 7 pm-ish. Conversely, if you stay in one of the coastal areas and drive UP to Providence in the morning or early afternoon, you'll be going the opposite way of everyone else and will have an easier drive.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

Yes, I am definitely going to look to stay south. I am looking forward to seeing everything that has been written on this site. I think one of the places I am most interested in is Block Island. As I read about the terrain and what to expect, it seems to be so much different than I pictured. I guess I just though of it as a level island with summer homes, so after doing research I am sure I will have a lot more to see. That is the great part of doing any traveling. Thank all of you for your help.

10. Re: Ideas for 4/5 days in Rhode Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 02:50
Get answers to your questions about Rhode Island