We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in South County?

Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in South County?

Hi,

My family was planning on a little day trip to Rhode Island, but we were going to go to Tiverton and try Evelyn's Drive Inn, however, I've been told it's a bit on the expensive for what you get. Is that true? Any other recs for that area? and special out of the way places to see in the area?

Just saw a bit about places such as Manutuck (sp?) on Chronicle on Ch. 5 up here in Boston. Looks great and very interesting. So we may change our destination. Is this area worth exploring? Are there any neat little places that we should check out? Are there any clam shacks or places similiar to Evelyn's?

Thanks so much, I find these forums so helpful!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in South County?

Evelyns Drive Inn the last time I went- yes, pricey but top quality and good portions. It's worth the treat, and RI's best homemade ice cream is Gray's at Tiverton Four Corners- it's been there for years. Tiverton, and much more so Little Compton, are some of RI's most beautiful communities- rural and unspoilt, farms, wineries, quiet, and somewhat exclusive in an understated old money way- ditto for Westport, MA area. Matunuck has big, more accessible beaches, but totally different- more beach/bars and summer residents town, and not that much else- although a town like Narragansett would certainly be of interest. The equivalent there is Aunt Carrie's, but I hear they haven't got the greatest reviews lately, lots more people around too. I say go East Bay, its just a quick ride down 24. If you like really good coffee be sure to stop at Coastal Roasters in Tiverton too.

Edited: 30 July 2010, 02:56
Newport, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in South County?

Hi! I live in the Tiverton area and in my opinion, Evelyn's is way overpriced for the quality of food you get. Tiverton (and Little Compton as the other reply says) is very rural and besides a few beaches, is really not a "destination". If you want to see plenty of country and open space with not much to do then you'll like it. However, a lot of the ocean views are blocked by private houses.

I don't know anything about Matunuck but Newport, RI is a great day trip. Although filled with tourists during the summer, definitely a lot to do, tons of restaurants and beautiful beaches. If you go, Brenton Point State Park on Ocean Drive is a great place and if you're looking for seafood, try Flo's Clam Shack (flosclamshack.net)

Whereever you choose to go in Rhode Island, enjoy!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in South County?

I have a suggestion for you.

Cruise down to Narragansett to start your day. Take 95 to 4 to 1 and make your way over to Narragansett Ave and Ocean Road. Take a right onto Ocean Road and cruise the seawall. Park and get out if you want or just follow Ocean Road down past beautiful Scarborough Beach. You will eventually come to a stop sign with Aunt Carrie's on the left and Iggy's on the right. Go to Iggy's and chow down.

http://iggysdoughboys.com/

If you don't want to eat inside/outside at Iggy's, then take it to go with you down to Camp Cronin. Continue on route 108 (Ocean Road, not Point Judith Road) and you will see a little road with a sign for Camp Cronin on your right. If you go to the end and the Point Judith Lighthouse, you missed it.

This is a great area to chow down on the goodies you brought or just to hang out. The ONLY bad thing about this place is the portapotties there. They're usually gross, but it's the views and the relaxation you go for. You park in a lot that has great views of Galilee to your right, Block Island straight ahead and the Lighthouse on your left. There's a very very long jettie that goes out that has people fishing and just walking the rocks. There's also a small, rocky beach on the left and a small, private, sandy beach on the right. (I have never had a problem using the private beach so if you wanna do that go for it. It's just a mix of summer rental owners and summer tourists who rent there at Breakwater Village. Great place to enjoy a couple hours just hanging out.

Matunuck is about 15 minutes from here and you just have to go north on 108 (Point Judith Road this time) to 1 south for Matunuck.

If you really wanted to be adventurous then you could get the family down to Galilee (off Point Judith Road) in the morning, hop on the ferry, and go spend the day in beautiful Block Island.

Edited: 31 July 2010, 03:34
4. Re: Where to go in South County?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 06:19