We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

Liverpool
Level Contributor
198 posts
151 reviews
Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

It is my 50th birthday and would be grateful of any help with an itinerary for our 5 days from Boston to New York. We are going on a cruise and although we could fly direct to New York, we would love to see a little of New England on the way.

We would land on Mon 3rd or Tuesday 4th Oct 2011 and pick up the cruise in New York on Sunday 9th.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bev

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

5 days is a lot of time to cover a driving distance of a few hours. Since it's October I'd suggest you head north from Boston to New Hampshire for some leaf peeping. I recommend you drive rt 95 north to rt 16, to North Conway. There are lots of places to stay in that area... it's a tourist town. Then drive rt 112 west through the mountains to Lincoln. It's a beautiful drive, with plenty of places to stop for short walks and pictures. From there you can head into Vermont for some more moutain scenery or head south to see southern New England. Newport is beautiful that time of year, and it's only a 3-4 hour drive from there to NYC.

If you wanted to explore NYC I'd plan to arrive early Saturday. It's less crowded on weekends, especially early in the morning.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

Is the itinerary of your cruise also New England// If so, what ports will you visit??

Liverpool
Level Contributor
198 posts
151 reviews
3. Re: Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

hi

thanks for your replies.

no the cruise is to bermuda. we are purposely travelling to boston to enable us to see new england or at least some parts of it on the way up as we have done new york 3 times so fancied something different.

i didn't realise it was so close to drive to new york, however, thought if we stopped one or two nights in places (obviously the last night would be in new york to get the cruise) we would have a nice couple of stopovers on the way.

which places would you stop at? we love travelling and a bits of history involved with places.

thanks again for your time, much appreciated

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

Considering you've done nyc, and enjoy history, I would say visit Boston, Providence, and Newport. With 5 days, you really couldn't do much more than 3 days in Boston, and 2 in Newport, as there is so much to see and do, and RI is very scenic. You could swing by Prov on your way for a couple hours, and also stop by Wickford a lovely harbor village with great shops, or check out Jamestown for more rural ocean vistas. Also the trees on Bellevue Ave in Newport will be beautiful if they are turning.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

You have plenty of time to enjoy Boston. Perhaps stay about 2 days depending on what you would like to do.

I would then rent a car and drive to Newport, Rhode Island for 3-4 days. Once there, you can visit Newport, Jamestown, nearby Mystic,CT, Wickford as suggested by previous poster. If the weather is warm, you can take a day trip on the fast ferry to Martha's Vineyard at Quonset near Newport. or you can take the ferry over to Block Island . When you are done, return the car in Newport or Warwick, RI depending on which company you choose. Then, take Amtrak into NYC.... how does that sound??

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

I think you've time do either the southern coastal route the other poster mentioned, or the northern foliate one. North Conway, NH is 3 hours from Boston. It's a tourist town, but if you like to shop you'll love it. Stay the night and leave the next morning. From there I'd take 112 to Lincoln. It's only an hour's drive on the map but you would want to make some stops for pictures. From there I'd take the interstate, 93 to 91. Normally I don't recommend highways but I've driven this one many times and it's very scenic. The drive from N. Conway to Stowe without stops is about 3 hours.

My favorite town in Vermont is Stowe. I'd stay at the Green Mountain Inn. The inn's restaurant is famous. There is a Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory open for tours nearby. Another great hotel is the Stowe Mountain Lodge. If you are a fan of the Sound of Music, the Von Trapp Family Lodge is also located here. I'd stay 2 nights if I had the time. There are many other beautiful Vermont towns further south... Woodstock in particular, if you wanted to reduce driving time.

Then head south... Rt 100 is very beautiful... to the Berkshires in MA. Stockbridge is the best town in the Berks. The drive from Stowe to Stockbridge is 4 hours. Stockbridge is 3 hours from NYC.

7. Re: Boston to New York to pick up cruise - 5 day itinerary req'd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 07:18