We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

Sioux Falls, South...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

I know we're late trying to put this together, but we (husband & I - mid-60s) are trying to put together a 10-day trip, flying into Providence, then driving up to the Berkshires, down through western Conn. and back along the Conn. coast to Newport, and possibly a side trip to Cape Cod. Looking at early-mid Oct., with the itinerary very flexible at this point. We like scenic sights, a little hiking, mom & pop type food, quaint towns--Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

That sounds very do-able and should give you plenty of time. I would worry most about finding lodging for any weekends. To increase your chances, plan to spend the entire weekend at one place. Most places won't offer single nights until the very last minute. I just tried to book a room on Cape Ann for one night for a wedding. No luck until I looked for the whole weekend, then I had my choice of 3 places.

The Berkshires are just 3 hours from Providence, so I'd suggest starting with any weekends, trying to find a place in the Berks or Newport first, and then planning from there, since you can easily drive to any point on your route based on lodging availability. And also note that Columbus Day weekend is pretty much "peak" so the further you get from there the better your chances.

Other great stops within the area would be Essex, CT, Mystic, CT and Westerly, RI (especially the Watch Hill area) or Narragansett, RI, to maximize your chances.

On Oct 8 there will be a Waterfire in Providence, held as a fundraiser for our local breast cancer support organization. If you will be in the area that night I would put that at the very TOP of your list of things to do, and find a room in Providence that night. The Hampton Inn and Suites on Weybosset is great, also the Marriot Courtyard and Westin are also in perfect locations.

http://www.waterfire.org/season-schedule

There is also one scheduled for Sept 24... might be harder to find a room in Providence for that one... it's probably Parent's Weekend at Brown University.

Sioux Falls, South...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

I'd forgotten about Columbus Day weekend! We could come at the end of Sept. and leave by then, but maybe we'd miss most of the color? Would upstate NY & VT be better at that time? Last year we flew into Boston, made a little swing into Vermont, then on to the White Mtns, up to Acadia and down the coast of Maine at the end of Sept. We thought we'd try to see a little different area this year but we'd really like to stay out of the worst of the crowds. I guess we're willing to give up a little color to avoid the crowds.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

I've been to Stockbridge at peak and it IS a bit crowded. RI and CT will be far less so. You are so smart to think of us as good for foliage... most people think VT and NH and that's it! But we do have some great color and spectacular scenery.

If that is what you're coming for, then do come in Oct, not Sept. Other than the Berks you should be fine in RI and CT... do the Berks during weekdays. I would suggest arrive in Providence Oct 8, stay the whole weekend, do Waterfire, a festival or 2, then head out to CT or MA. Don't come any earlier than that if you want foliage. The Essex Steam Train is a nice way to see some foliage, relax and experience history at the same time. We took the Steam Train north and the boat ride down the river south... LOVED it!

Take one route TO the Berks and a different one returning. Save at least one night, preferably more for Newport. There is so much to do there. A tour of Newport, drive along Ocean Drive, tour The Breakers, walk a bit of Cliff Walk, visit Jamestown across the bay... the ferry is a great deal! But also Beavertail and Ft. Wetherill are incredibly scenic. Drive to Little Compton and see/taste Sakonnet Vineyards. Continue down 177 to Swamp Rd, take it to South Shore Beach, walk that to Goosewing Beach... farm stretching down to the sea. Beautiful!

If you decide to visit, I can recommend a few restaurants or hotels.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

I would not try to do New York as well. You can easily include some of southern New Hampshire. The southwest corner of the state really has everything you listed, nice hiking, locally owned restaurants, great places to stay, scenic villages, covered bridges and from there you can easily access Vermont and Mass.

Sioux Falls, South...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

It looks like we may be traveling a bit later--maybe arriving around Oct. 18 for 10 days or so. WIll that be busier for CT & RI--again looking at western Conn. & the Mystic-Newport areas, possibly a swing up to Cape Cod if it's still reasonable to do.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

Later is better for the southern New England states, southern NH will still likely have some color, and the towns and covered bridges are there all year!

7. Re: Rhode Island-W. Mass.-Conn. road trip itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 22:17