We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Topic
Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

We'll be attending a wedding reception at the Ocean House next August and would love to stay there, but it is out of our price range. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel reasonably near the Ocean House that is a bit more upscale than the typical family beach motel and not a B&B? We'd prefer to keep the cost under $350. I have done quite a bit of research online, and am not having any luck. We don't need full resort facilities, but we do want a full-service hotel. The closer to the Ocean House, the better, and we'd prefer not to have to drive more than 30 minutes after the reception.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

There is only one other hotel in Watch Hill, and it runs about $500 a night. I did a search for you on nearby hotels. It tells you the distance each property is from Watch Hill. Generally Misquamicut is family beach type of properties. Few frills, smaller, older properties. Stonington is a nice small town. It just depends on your perferences.

tripadvisor.com/…

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

While the beaches are great here, Westerly is not known for name brand hotels. Most accommodations are individually-owned "beachy" motels and inns, and the only really upscale place is the Ocean House. Take a look at the Winnapaug Inn; that, I think, comes closest to what you're looking for, and it's about a 10 minute ride from the Ocean House. I know you didn't want a B&B, but The Villa bed and breakfast has received pretty good reviews and is right along the same road as the Winnapaug, about a minute farther north.

Oh, and the Pleasant View Inn, too, which is right on the beach, might be an option.

In case you don't realize it, Watch Hill is part of Westerly (although a world apart).

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

Another thought -- how about Mystic, CT? There's a Hilton, a Marriot, and a few other chains of varying degrees of "comfort", It wil be about a 20 minute ride or so, depending on traffic.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

I was in that area today and have to agree that the Winnapaug Inn would be my choice. It's not only less than 10 minutes away but it's a very pleasant no-traffic drive. I have been to a function at the inn's restaurant, Venice, and it was very nicely done. I was not able to see their summer rates but winter rates are $129 a night so it looks like it would fit in with your price range.

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

I would probably go with the Shelter Harbor Inn. But if that is too expensive, and too far at 15 minutes away, I have always found the Breezeway Motel to be super clean and nice.

Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

Thank you all for your input. I had looked at most of the options you mentioned. Shelter Harbor Inn looked like the nicest, but seems sort of Bed and Breakfasty. What I object to about B&B's is the feeling that I'm staying in someone else's house. Does it feel that way?

Winnapaug has some iffy reviews, but some good ones, too. I had looked at Mystic, CT; unfortunately, none of the chains there seemed like anything too great, but they are certainly an option. The Pleasant View Inn made me nervous because they don't show photos of their rooms--often a red flag!

When you say Watch Hill and the rest of Westerly are worlds apart, which is the nicer area?

Although we love water views, we live right near the beach, so proximity to a beach isn't really important to us, especially since our major entertainment while there will be attending the wedding.

The Breezeway actually looks like a decent possibility.

Even if we don't find the perfect place, at least your responses indicate that we haven't missed anything we should be checking out!

Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

The Shelter Harbor Inn does not really feel much like a bed & breakfast as almost the entire lower floor is a popular restaurant. There are also outbuildings that serve as guest quarters, as well as the upper floors in the main house. I would give the Pleasant View a red flag as well, and am not 100% sold on Winnapaug. As I said Breezeway is nice and clean, but Misquamicut can get a little "honkey tonk". Shelter Harbor is a beautiful summer residential community, and if you want to hit the beach while you are there, Inn guests have access to the beautiful Weekapaug Private Beach. Unfortunately the Weekapaug Inn does not reopen from its major reconditioning until November 2012.

Watch Hill is much more upscale than most of the Westerly area. So if you want to stay near the Ocean House, have you considered the Watch HIll Inn, which is more of a condo complex, but is in a great location right on Bay Street, at the bottom of the hill from the OH. Completely renovated and added onto about 5 years ago, the rooms are really nice. I would think summer high season rates for a regular one bedroom residence will be in the $350 a night range.

http://www.watchhillinn.com/

Also at the bottom of the hill is the Watch Hill Court. More rustic, it is is also in a great location and super close to the Ocean House. Prices range from $175 to 425 a night

http://www.watch-hill-court.com/

Harbour House is also on Bay Street, with more basic accomodation, but again a very nice location, and rates under $200 a night.

www.oceanviewinns.com/harbourhouse.html

There are also the rooms above the stores on Bay Street, which are all for rent, and collectively are I think called the Inn at Watch Hill. No website, but you could call and ask for more information.

The Inn at Watch Hill

118 Bay Street, Watch Hill, Westerly

(401) 596-0665

A few pictures are from the architecture firm that did the reconstruction there..

http://www.dbarch.com/innatwatchhill1.html

Hope this is helpful, and enjoy Watch Hill and the Ocean House as they are both quite special.

8. Re: Nice hotel near Ocean House in Westerly/Watch Hill area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 10:20