We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

I am based in Providence for a whole week, and want to explore the countryside.

Please, tell me of nice roads to take within a 2 hrs radius.

I love historical sites, architectural landmarks (both modern and old), and just plain ol' good photo ops.

Thank you!!!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

One trip you could make is out to Little Compton and Newport.

From Providence, you would head East on 195 for a short bit until RT 114 South towards Barrington. You'll pass through East Providence, Barrington, Warren, and Bristol. Once you get into Bristol, I would make a slight right onto Water Street and see the waterfront area. You'll eventually rejoin Rt 114.

Once you leave Bristol, you'll cross the Mt Hope Bridge into Portsmouth. From there, you could head up to Rt 24 North to cross another bridge (Sakonett River Bridge) to get into Tiverton (Route 77) follow that road all the way through Tiverton and down through to Little Compton.

Reverse your course and get back to Rt 24 South and head back over the Sakonett River Bridge. Get off of Route 24 at Rt 138 South. Rt 138 will take you through Portsmouth and Middletown ending in Newport. In Newport you could do the 10 mile drive out along Ocean Avenue and Bellevue Ave.

You might want to break it up into 2 separate trips if you only have a couple of hours though (Tiverton and Little Compton could be a separate trip)

It sounds a bit complicated, but if you look at a map, it makes more sense.

These routes will take you through several towns, farmlands, country drives, and finalaly busier Newport.

Edited: 22 November 2011, 21:52
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

Why not do a loop, go south via the West side of the bay, as suggested, cross the Newport Pell Bridge, check out the rural island of Jamestown, and hit charming Wickford Village on your way back up to Prov. Down and back 45 min each way, us Ri'ers do it all the time, and will give you a good feel of the state. Going down to Little Compton would be a diversion and would make it a bit longer. The East Bay side has a good highway back to Prov, rt 4 and 95, West Bay is slower but you'll see Warren and Bristol which are coastal villages, Jamestown has some of the state's best State Parks overlooking the Atlantic.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

I love 77 Tiverton/ Little Compton as suggested. Other prettiest roads would be Rt 102 which starts in North Kingstown and ends up at RI's northern border and Rt116, especially through Scituate... classic white steepled churches, etc. But best of all Rt 1A through the town of Wickford down into Narragansett is NOT to be missed! It's only a 30 minute ride but give yourself a couple of hours.

Another great tip: explore Jamestown. It's a pretty small town on a very scenic island. Very unique place.

Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

Thank you all for your input, sound like a good round trip!

Today it was cooking time, and rain. But will do the trip later this week, God willing :-)

Watch Hill, Rhode...
Level Contributor
2 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

I'd have to recommend Ocean Drive in Newport as you have. All the other roads in Ri could be anywhere USA but a trip over the Pell Bridge and then around Ocean Drive and Bellevue Ave is uniquely Ri. A trip down to Watch Hill is also a pleasant breath of fresh and affluent air.

Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

I agree, Ocean Drive has so much character! It is a classy look back at the Great Gatsby times. Advise: when recommending a place: also tell the best time of day, as a local you must know better and take it for granted, but visitors will get the best experience if they know.

For Ocean Drive, I think sunset and night are best times. I'd say, 1st visit one of the mansions ("summer cottages"), then do the whole drive, and end up with a great lobster dinner at the harbor.

We saw it with all the splendor of Christmas, and ended up dining very late, the only place still open was Benjamin's (restaurant upstairs) and what a blessing that was! Their chef Ron has world class gourmet dishes, I strongly recommend it!

Edited: 30 November 2011, 13:32
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

I agree with the Ocean Drive at Sunset, but at night...??? You'll miss the beauty of the rocky coast . Glad you had a good trip. Benjamin's is a good tip.

Watch Hill, Rhode...
Level Contributor
2 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

The word would be "advice" and don't be so presumptious to think I need it. There is no better time to view Ocean Drive other than to say during daylight hours, so I would go so far as to say your advice was misleading and incorrect. The beauty and spectacle of Ocean Drive is that you are able to see the residences tucked away around the bends and turns in the road. This is also true for the secluded coves and beaches. It only needs to light out -- morning, noon or afternoon. And with the constant bends in the road there's no wide open view that is improved with the sunset, moveover to the nearby west is the island of Jamestown and shores of Narragansett which blocks any sunset on a horizon, and waiting for a sunset in lively Newport only means you are being distracted from the restaurants of Newport and falling behind in line for dinner or the bar as you found out. A ride around Ocean Drive at night serves no purpose for anyone other than teenagers and coeds necking.

9. Re: In Providence for Thanksgiving- Country roads advice :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2012, 10:17