We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHich area to stay? Providence or Newport

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
632 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
WHich area to stay? Providence or Newport

Hello!

We are planning a trip for summer next year ( Yes I know this is really far in advance, but I am determined to be organised this time for when the BA / VIrgin sale starts..)

We are planning to go to Boston for a few days then stay somewhere in Rhode Island for about 4 nights, then onto Cape Cod for a week or so before returning home.

In short which are would be the best place to stay in RHode Island and why.

We are in our late 30's, like pottering, quirky shops, nice food and the odd bit of culture.

Any sugestions would be good- we will of course have a car.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WHich area to stay? Providence or Newport

Hello from the Visitors Bureau in Providence. Honestly, where you stay depends on the kind of experience you are looking for. If you want to have a seaside getaway, I would suggest Newport or smaller communities like Bristol or Narragansett, Rhode Island. If you are big foodies and like the arts and a quirky culture, then I would suggest Providence. We are one of the best culinary cities in the U.S. and have a vibrant arts and cultural scene. One thing you won't want to miss is WaterFire. The schedule for WaterFire typically comes out in early Spring. You can find more information about Providence and WaterFire on our website www.GoProvidence.com.

MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WHich area to stay? Providence or Newport

One thing to remember is that Newport and Providence are only an hour apart by car: so, you can certainly visit one and stay in the other, or split your time. I like the idea of staying 1/2 way between both in Bristol RI. It has the Haffenreffer Museum, Blithewold Gardens, nice shops, food (Dewolf Tavern, Quito's and a German restaurant whose name escapes me now). Colt State Park is a gem as well. From there, you can go to Providence (I agree, Waterfire is fun), Culinary Arts Museum at Johnson and Wales and good restaurants (especially italian in Federal Hill area) in 25 minutes. 20 minutes in the Newport direction will get you to great beaches, Newport Mansions, and touristy shops. Newport is more touristy, Providence: a typical city. Bristol: artsy, up and coming New England town. Unfortunately, we don't have a great public transport system, so a car rental is encouraged.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WHich area to stay? Providence or Newport

An hour, Newport to Prov is more like 45 min, less if you drive the usual speed. Providence is a beautiful, small historic city. Overall Newport has more to offer, and is more fun. There is a big tourist and yacht scene in the summer, but Newport definitly also has some quirky gems, and plenty of beautiful history and sites, beaches and places to explore in the nearby area.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WHich area to stay? Providence or Newport

actually, I would probably start in Rhode island, then go to Boston then the Cape because Boston is between the two... rather than Boston-RI-Cape..

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WHich area to stay? Providence or Newport

I would recommend Newport. It's so much fun, tons to see, compact area of shops and restaurants for walking around. By all means visit Providence, especially on a weekend, but stay in Newport. If you're on a tight budget stay just over the line in neighboring Middletown, but if you can afford it, stay as close to the Thames St/Memorial Blvd area as you can because traffic crawls in the summer, and you can either walk or take the trolley to get around.

6. Re: WHich area to stay? Providence or Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:15