We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on room, tours, eating places!

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on room, tours, eating places!

I am planning a trip in honor of our 45th Wedding Aniv.

If things are going OK in September (husband is getting treatment for cancer) we will be coming to the area around Newport and Middleton.

Not sure if we should stay in Middleton or Newport? Best motel or hotels in each city? Best tours to take and book with who? My husband and I both want to try good seafood. We plan on being in the area about 4 days.We have never been out east and will be driving from ND. I really want to see as much as possible like the Breakers. Love history! Boat rides?

Have a GPS, any suggestions and insight would be very much welcomed. We are seniors so we are kind of on a budget. But, this may be a once in a life time trip. Thank You very much!

Edited: 09 June 2012, 20:20
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on room, tours, eating places!

September is the best time to visit. Newport is where the harbor is with the shopping, sights, mansions, etc. Middletown is the commercial area of the island, just a 10-15 min. drive away, and is an alternative for more affordable lodging. There are plenty of seafood restaurants, casual or upscale, boat ride options, and tour options. The Newport area has tons to see and do; for example you could take a short drive out to Beavertail Lighthouse in Jamestown and picnic overlooking the Atlantic. These are islands with big bridges here, so you can't get too lost. Hopefully all will go well and you can make it. Book as early as possible, even for September.

Edited: 10 June 2012, 12:13
Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on room, tours, eating places!

Thank you so much for your help.

If we stay in Newport can you suggest a good motel or hotel, that is clean and resonable?

Thanks Again!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on room, tours, eating places!

Somehow September and most of October has managed to make it's way into "in" season. It's not "beach season" but it's still warm and pleasant and much of Newport can be enjoyed indoors, so this is the case.

If you can swing a bit over $200 per night (breakfast included), the Harborside Inn, just off Thames St, is very nice. I really enjoyed my stay there. The beds were VERY comfy (VERY important to me!) and we had a small sitting area with a sofa and easy chair and the room had a tiny balcony overlooking the harbor. The advantage of this Inn is that you can walk to most of the sights in Newport (excluding the mansions, but you can take the trolley to see them). Newport traffic is pretty bad, due to the fact the roads were built to accomodate horses, not cars.

If that is a bit much if you stay over the border in Middletown you have a lot more choices. Newport Beach Hotel and Suites gets consistently good reviews. The downside is you need a car to access ALL of the sights in Newport. If you choose this option, you can park at the Newport Visitor's Center for a small fee and avoid most of the worst traffic.

I am praying all goes well for you and your husband! You are choosing a great place to celebrate his recovery.

4. Re: Need help on room, tours, eating places!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:17