We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

N.J. USA
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

I fell in love with the scenery in the film Moonrise Kingdom and I understand it was filmed in RI. Where? We would like to spend a few days exploring. We love beaches, hikes, kayaking, bird watching, good food and are not interested in night life or busy places. Any suggestions -- towns, inns, must dos, etc. would be appreciated.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

Moonrise Kingdom was filmed in a number of locations in Rhode Island. The family's house (the outside shots) were filmed on the north end of Jamestown, at Conanicut light. There were scenes filmed elsewhere in Jamestown including Fort Getty. A bunch of the movie was filmed on Prudence Island. The town church (where they had the plays) was filmed at Trinity Church in Newport. Some of the Boy Scout scenes were filmed at Bayfield Farm in South Kingstown. The shots of the lighthouse (with the black and white striped lighthouse) were filmed at Pt. Judith Lighthouse in Narragansett. The lighthouse is not actually striped, though! There were several filming spots in Hopkinton, including Camp Yawgoog Boy Scout Camp, and Long Pond (which is part of the Arcadia management area).

The South County area of RI would be a good place to stay, especially either Narragansett or South Kingstown. It would be a good middle point between going to Jamestown and Newport, and to go up to Hopkinton. Arcadia in Hopkinton is really beautiful and there are trails for walking and biking and I am sure there are plenty of birds there as well to fit your bird watching interest. Another good place for bird watching is the Norman Bird Sanctuary in Middletown (the next town over from Newport); it is just past Second Beach. There are a number of beaches in the area, both town and state beaches. Narragansett Town Beach in Narragansett, South Kingstown town beach on Matunuck Beach Road and Charlestown beach in Charlestown are all good choices. There's a lot of good food in the area; two recommendations I can make are Crazy Burger in Narragansett and Matunuck Oyster Bar in South Kingstown.

Getting up to Providence to see Waterfire, if there is one happening during your stay, is definitely something you should try to do.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

Good tips from Mimilou. The final shot, was filmed at Fort Wetherill in Jamestown as well, a great place to explore the ocean cliffs and coves. "Me Myself and Irene", and "Dan in Real Life", were also filmed in Jamestown.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 20:20
N.J. USA
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

Mimilou, pardon my ignorance, but what is waterfire? Any recommendations for places to stay that are reasonably priced but charming? Also, we love beaches, especially not crowded ones, any suggestions?

Thanks

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

Judi: Waterfire is an event where cauldrons on the Providence River are lit on fire....like giant candles I guess. There's much more to it than that, though. The website is here: http://waterfire.org/ and I think gives a much better description than I did! I did suggest some beaches in my original post; Charlestown would probably be the most uncrowded with South Kingstown second (both have a little more room to spread out). However, if it is a sunny summer day in RI, there really are no "uncrowded" beaches. You will see other people no matter what beach you go to. The level of "crowdedness" varies from beach to beach. Crowds do disappear right after Labor Day, though.

Not sure what your price range is for places to stay. The 1900 House and the Blueberry Cove Inn, both in Narragansett, are b&b's that get good reviews.

N.J. USA
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

I would like to spend no more than $150 a night, preferably less. Is that possible? Do you know a B and B called Sheppard's places. It is very reasonable but there are only 2 TA reviews which makes me hesitant.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

I know where Sheppard's Place is, but beyond that I don't know much about it. It's right next to a park where there is a playground and basketball courts. It's about a block's walk from several restaurants, including Crazy Burger, and there are other restaurants within walking distance as well. There are some other businesses on the same block-two blocks including a laudromat, dive shop, karate studio, and hairdresser. You can walk down a closeby side street to get to the ocean, though it is a bit farther from the actual beach than the other two places I mentioned (not by a huge amount, though). Summer rates for b&b's around here usually begin at maybe $130-$140 per night and can go higher than $200. If you found a reasonable rate with Sheppards and they have availability, I don't see any reason not to stay there. The only thing I would point out about Sheppard's is that it might be a *bit* less quiet there, due to their proximity to the park and several businesses. The other two places are in a strictly residential area. But again, I think this would be a good choice if it's in your price point and would be a good base for your activities.

7. Re: where was moonrise kingdom filmed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:18