We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

Towards the end of our three week New England road trip (Sept./Oct. this year) I have planned two nights in Sturbridge, Massachusetts to break the journey from Southern Vermont to Newport, Rhode Island where I have also planned two nights.

I am now thinking of changing to just one night in Sturbridge and having three nights in Newport (11, 12 & 13 October). I'm thinking there would be more to see in the Newport area.

I think we could visit Old Sturbridge village the afternoon we arrive there from Arlington, Vermont..

While in Newport I plan to take in the Ocean drive and visit some of the mansions also the Bowens Wharf seafood festival and some shopping for my wife! Any other suggestions?

I would like any comments on my planned changes.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

Definitely change it! Other ideas: visit Jamestown, a small, very charming island across the water. Check out Beavertail and Fort Wetherill (walk along the cliff at the top of the park). Take a sail on one of the excursions available on the wharves.

Check out Providence. It's only 40 minutes from Newport. Check out College Hill (also called the East Side), with it's colonial homes and interesting shops. Have a meal on Federal Hill (Atwells Ave), Providence's "Little Italy".

Check www.waterfire.org to see if there will be a WaterFire during your visit. If so... GO! It's not to be missed!

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks Lauryc . . . . You have convinced me, I'll change my itinerary !

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

Yes, there is no comparison, good move.

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Another idea is to go to wafch hill.. The ocean house, RI's only 5 star hotel serves a beautiful lunch.. I have't been yet.. But friends of mine who have gone have really enjoyed it... And watch hill is very picturesque

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks folks.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary

As suggested I did change from two nights in Sturbridge to one adding an extra night in Newport.

Driving from Sturbridge to Portsmouth (middle of October) according to Map Quest it is around 88 miles which should only take about 2 hours.

Can somebody please suggest another - possibly more interesting - route. Or perhaps a stop along the way - interesting, town, village, scenery . . . . . anything considered !

Or should we head straight to Newport and spend more time there.

I have also taken note of the suggestions for sightseeing in Newport, I just don't know what I would do without the great answers you get from TA members . . . . fantastic ! !

Thank you

Edited: 31 August 2012, 15:12
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary

Yes, you can take Route 169 in the northeast corner of CT. This road was rated in one of the 10 best roads trips in the US, several years ago. I just did it again, and marvelled at how pretty it is, and it must be one of the best roads for fall folliage in all of New England. From there I would take route 6, to 195E. Then you can take the highway through Fall RIver, or check out the RI towns of Bristol and Warren, however that route is much slower.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary

169 is definately a beautiful trip. Instead of taking route 6 though I would suggest taking 169 south to route 14 and then 14a. Then south on 49 and east on 165 into RI. That whole stretch is lovely. Then you go north for a couple miles on rt 3, east on rt 102, south on rt 4 and east on 138 over the bridges into newport. It's a lot simpler than it sounds if you check out a map. It will take a little longer but it is pretty the whole way, unlike rt 6, and unless you have some reason to go through fall river I would absolutely rather take 138 over the Jamestown and Newport bridges, especially if it's your first time here. It's worth the extra 4 bucks for the toll. Even if you choose to take rt 6 or just come in on 95 it is both shorter and prettier, in my opinion, coming into Newport over those bridges.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary

Many thanks Hillside68 & RhodyRick - without your help & suggestions I would have simply driven the 146 freeway to Newport. I didn't know about this scenic route through Connecticut, it does sound nice. We will now be taking in all five New England states!

Doing a quick calculation on Map Quest the distance is around 110 miles so I guess it will take about 3 to 4 hours with a few stops.

10. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:16