We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

S B
Sparta, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

My husband and I will be traveling to Westerly RI on Oct 16 and leaving for home on 10/22. We are very active and enjoy walking and the outdoors. What would be some activities you would recommend that would involve day trips? Will it be too cool for the beach other than walking along the ocean? Thanks for any info you can give!

Mentioned in this post
Westerly
Westerly
South County, RI
Scenic Overview of Newport Viking...
21 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Free Cancellation
Newport Gilded Age Mansions Trolley...
96 Reviews
from US$39.00*
Free Cancellation
Newport Viking Trolley Tour with The...
35 Reviews
from US$57.00*
Free Cancellation
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

You could get lucky if we have an Indian Summer day, then you could put down some blankets on the beach, etc. There are some nice wildlife refuges along the southern coast of RI, Ninigret is one. Watch Hill and Napatree Point in Westerly, of course. Stonington, CT is a historic harbor village nearby. Some very nice country roads to see some foliage slightly inland, in the Richmond area, Tuckertown Rd. to Wakefield especially. Plenty of other things too.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 00:11
Mentioned in this post
Watch Hill
Watch Hill
Westerly, RI
Napatree Point
Napatree Point
113 Reviews
Westerly, RI
Westerly
Westerly
South County, RI
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Wakefield
Wakefield
South Kingstown, RI
S B
Sparta, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

Thanks Hillside68 for your recommendations. Have you done the cliff walk? We were thinking about doing this. I have to admit I'm afraid of heights and wasn't sure how close the trail/path is to the edge. Also, we were thinking about Seaport Village. Yeah or nay for this SV? Thanks again for your recs.

Mentioned in this post
Seaport Boston Hotel
Seaport Boston Hotel
5,283 Reviews
Boston, MA
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

Yes, I walk Cliff Walk all the time, because even though I grew up here whenever I walk it I feel like I'm on a world class vacation! The path by the cliffs is wide and flat, towards the end you would be walking on the shore rocks, not high but not flat walking at all. You don't have to go that far to appreciate the walk though. Of course I would absolutely recc. Newport as a must-see day trip too- will take about an hour to get there, and Oct is a great time to see it. From what I recall Seaport Village was made for the tourists, but Mystic and the Main Street is certainly worth a look if you are that close.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Seaport Boston Hotel
Seaport Boston Hotel
5,283 Reviews
Boston, MA
S B
Sparta, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

Thank you again for your recs. How far is the cliff walk from Westerly? And, how long will it take to walk it? Is there anything in this area we should do after the cliff walk? I've been researching things to do in Newport. There are scenic trolley tours that also combine a mansion of choice stop. Do you think this is worthwhile or should we do it on our own? Thank you again very much for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Westerly
Westerly
South County, RI
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

Newport and Cliff Walk is about an hour from Westerly. The Walk if 3.5 miles one way, so it takes a couple hours to do the whole thing. Beaches, mansions, take a drive on Ocean Drive, Fort Adams, shopping, dining and site seeing in the large harbor area. There is a lot to see and do in Newport.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,387 Reviews
Newport, RI
Westerly
Westerly
South County, RI
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
2,538 Reviews
Newport, RI
Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

In Westerly itself is Grey Sail Beer, which has tours and tastings every Saturday fromo 1pm to 5pm..

http://greysailbrewing.com/

Similarly there are wineries in Stonington CT and Westerly that have tastings.

http://saltwaterfarmvineyard.com/

http://www.jedwardswinery.com/

http://www.langworthyfarm.com/wines.html

If you are looking for a lovely night out at a fancy restaurant, try Seasons at the Ocean House, which is just a stunning hotel in Watch Hill, or grab a drink and linger on their lovely victorian porch overlooking the ocean

http://www.oceanhouseri.com/dining/seasons/

Similary in Weekapaug, the newly reopened (October 7th) Weekapaug Inn has a delightful farm to table restaurant with beautiful views of the salt pond, and ocean beyond.

weekapauginn.com/dining/the-restaurant/

In downtown Westerly, there are a few fun spots, like Bridge, Perks & Corks and the Malted Barley.

Mentioned in this post
Westerly
Westerly
South County, RI
The Ocean House
The Ocean House
825 Reviews
Watch Hill, RI
Watch Hill
Watch Hill
Westerly, RI
Weekapaug Inn
Weekapaug Inn
246 Reviews
Westerly, RI
The Malted Barley
The Malted Barley
228 Reviews
Westerly, RI
Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

If we get some nice days, the beaches will be a great place to go. You can also walk a few trails in the area. Check the Westerly Land Trust webside for trail maps: http://westerlylandtrust.org/?page_id=185

Downtown Westerly has some fun shops to nose around in, and other restaurants I'd recommend are Ten Sandwiches, the Pizza Place, and Casa Della Luce.

The Granite Theatre is a great place to see live theater; here's their website for more information: http://www.granitetheatre.com/

In Stonington (next town over, in CT), you can rent kayaks at King Cove. Here's their website: kingcovekayakcenter.com/content/kayak_conten…

It's only a 10 minute ride from Westerly to the kayak center. Also in Stonington is Stonington borough, another sweet little village with many restaurants and stores. Check out Dog Watch Cafe and Noah's.

Mystic is next, and on a rainy day, see a movie at the Village Cinema in Olde Mystic Village, another great shopping place. The Seaport itself is great if you're into history.

Mentioned in this post
Westerly
Westerly
South County, RI
Luce
Luce
259 Reviews
Middletown, CT
Dog Watch Cafe
Dog Watch Cafe
721 Reviews
Stonington, CT
Mystic
Mystic
Connecticut
Seaport Boston Hotel
Seaport Boston Hotel
5,283 Reviews
Boston, MA
S B
Sparta, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

Thanks again Hillside. We are definitely doing the cliff walk and visiting Newport. I think we are going to set aside next Wednesday for this day trip. Any suggestions on good seafood and Italian restaurants in Newport? Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
S B
Sparta, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

Thanks BostonSpider (unique name) or all your suggestions. We are definitely going to look into Weekapaug Inn for lunch or supper. Any suggestions on good authentic seafood restaurants in Westerly? We don't get good seafood in So Illinois.

Mentioned in this post
Weekapaug Inn
Weekapaug Inn
246 Reviews
Westerly, RI
S B
Sparta, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Westerly Oct 16-22 - Need Suggestions on What to Do

ILoveRI: We are definitely planning on spending time at the beach even though it will be too cold to swim. We love to walk so plan to do this on the beach quite a bit.Thank you for all the restaurant recs too. We definitely plan to eat some good food while we are there.Thank you very much for all the info!