We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Block Island Wedding

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Block Island Wedding

I trust TA for all my travel reviews... Why not my wedding? Can anyone provide some feedback on weddings in Block Island? We went to BI this weekend to look at venues and we are a little torn, and also ruled out some places. We are committed to a wedding here but have to now choose. Does anyone have experience having a wedding here or attending good or bad??

Mentioned in this post
Block Island
Block Island
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Block Island Wedding

I know of a wedding that was canceled due to a hurricane one late Sept weekend. So I'd suggest not planning it during hurricane season... mid-August through late Sept. Other than that... invite me! I'd LOVE to come! I also accidentally crashed part of a wedding at Spring House. We did not realize there was actually a wedding taking place. But truth told I LOVED it! A string quartet played on the porch, guests enjoyed drinks, hors d'ovres and croquet on the lawn... it was like a trip back in time. It was also the last weekend in Sept. We managed to slink off without spoiling anything.

BTW my own wedding was cancelled 32 years ago due to an unseasonable blizzard. We live in New England... we take our chances.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Block Island Wedding

This is cracking me up so much !!!! Our wedding will (hopefully be 9/13 or 9/29, 2014) so I really hope we miss the whole hurricane thing. Ugh!! We have ruled out the Spring House bits it's always beneficial to know what else is going on!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Block Island Wedding

Here's what happened to me: I woke up to 23" of snow that was forecasted as 3-6. My wedding was scheduled for Sunday afternoon, no power at church, no power at reception, roads not plowed. The reception venue called and informed us that all of the food had already been prepared, but could not be cooked. The florist had already done the flowers. The cake was, of course, baked. So we were going to be out SERIOUS money if we cancelled. Our fire dept called and offered to get us to the church. Snowmobilers called and offered to ferry guests. But without power, there was no way, despite the generosity.

Turns out the venue is closed on Mondays... their day off. I asked if it would be POSSIBLE for them to come in and let my wedding happen one day late. The employees, to their credit, agreed. And so I got married on a Monday after work. The florist agreed. The photographer agreed. The cake lady agreed, The band agreed! To my guests credit all but 5 made it! But I DID lose my honeymoon. Went skiing instead, which the groom had never done before, and to this day we think our honeymoon was the most awesome 4 days ever.

So really... do have a Plan "B". We would have lost so much $ that I would not have been able to have a wedding without all involved agreeing to this change in plans. I do not know what happened to that unfortunate BI bride except that my nephew and his wife did not get to the island at all that weekend, nor to whatever passed as a wedding for the unfortunate couple.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Block Island Wedding

That sounds HORRIBLE! I'm amazed almost all of your guests made the trevk in spite of all this!!

I'm curious, what day of year was your wedding? We are planning mid-September so I'd be very surprised to 23 inches of snow however I know I have to be prepared for hurricanes

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Block Island Wedding

Mine was scheduled for December 6, the last day of the Xmas season my pastor would allow. Actual wedding on feast of the immaculate conception. He was SO difficult. The hurricane BI wedding was September 24.

6. Re: Block Island Wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 04:16