We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for a 10 day New England trip in mid / late September

Wakefield, West...
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Help for a 10 day New England trip in mid / late September

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!

I'm going to apologise now because we have few ideas of actual places to visit.

Anyway, we're looking at 10 nights next September (setting off from UK around 13th September - flights not yet booked so pretty flexible!) landing in Boston. We're going for my 30th, with no children to cater for and no set budget. We love coastal towns, scenic drives, lakes, mountains and most things you can call "quaint". We'd love to spot some Moose and eagles, and I want to try lobster!

Our partial plan is from the Discover New England "The best fall foliage drive ever" guide. Now don't get me wrong, I like autumn. It's my favourite time of year in not so sunny Yorkshire, but I won't be devastated if not every leaf has turned when we get there: we've used the guide purely to get ideas of where to go.

The plan so far:

Arrive in Boston, drive to Kennebunks, Maine. Stay 1 or 2 nights

Onto Sebago Lake, Maine. Stay 1 night

Onto Gorham, New Hampshire. Stay 1 or 2 nights

Onto Vermont for a few days. This is where I come unstuck. I'm not even sure if Connecticut and Rhode Island have what we're looking for.

After the hazy bit in the middle, we want to head back to Boston, and visit Wakefield and Salem, and spend our final night in an easy driving distance of the airport to get the red eye flight back home. I'm sure I'll be told not to bother with Wakefield, but we literally want to drive through and take a picture of the town sign, as we hail from Wakefield, West Yorkshire :)

I've posted this in all the New England forums, so hopefully will be able to cobble together a pretty good itinery!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for a 10 day New England trip in mid / late September

Every New England state has it's lovely, quaint, historic villages. After NH and Maine, VT would be another even more rural, mountainous state. RI is known for it's lively seaside villages and beaches; the little city of Newport and the Narragansett Bay area is a premier destination for all of New England. Connecticut isn't as much a vacation spot as the rest of the states, generally speaking. I'm not sure how you thought of Wakefield, MA, spend more time at the real standouts, Newport, RI, the Colonial city of Providence, small, manageable, beautiful architecture, village of Wickford, kind of off the beaten track but Little Compton, RI is stunning. In Eastern MA- Marblehead, especially. Salem for the museums. Busy, developed areas, but historic too. Route 25 in NH is just beautiful, quaint, old, farmy, scenic mountains. Squam Lake area is also very, very nice.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 15:34
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for a 10 day New England trip in mid / late September

Definiitely hit Newport, RI...it has the quaint coastal town you are looking for, nice drives, etc...

www.gonewport.com for some ideas... for planning purposes, It's 1 1/2 hours from Boston without traffic

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for a 10 day New England trip in mid / late September

Hillside68, Wakefield, MA is because of the OP's hometown!

RachelandStephen, Wakefield, MA is a pretty enough town for a quick stop. Main Street along Lake Quannapowitt is lovely. I think there is a Wakefield sign on the Common at the intersection of Main Street and Church Street, not far from the Town Hall.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
164 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for a 10 day New England trip in mid / late September

It will be way too early for fall foliage in September in Rhode Island. We get peak leaf season mid-late October and not always. We do have quaint coastal towns though. If you like antiquing or kitschy shops try Bristol and Warren Rhode Island. They're both lovely, waterfront towns. Wickford is also cute but all those places are touristy. There are a lot of farms in the southern part of RI and beach communities too. Check out the DEM and National Park service for information about state parks where you might be able to view wildlife. We have a lot of wildlife in suburban backyards but not so much land left.

5. Re: Help for a 10 day New England trip in mid / late September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:17